1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do you buy raw bones?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by mueltrain, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mueltrain

mueltrain Boxer Booster

So i have gathered that the only bones good for dogs are raw bones, and i see many of you say that you buy them from the grocery store. So does that mean i should be able to buy them at any local chain of grocery store? Do you go and ask the butcher or just any worker? Or should i be able to find them already packaged in a section somewhere? Or do you have to be some kind of meat on the bone and take the bones out for your dog to chew? Also are there any guidelines or things to watch for when feeding a raw bone?

thanks for your help

2. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

*Sometimes* you can find them already packaged up in the meat section. More often than not I have to ask the butcher. I ask if they have anything and if he has time to cut for me. You will not be the first person that has asked them. They typically know what you want....and yes I tell them it is for my dog. :D
    I also give my girl beef ribs when hubby wants BBQ spare ribs. I just cut off a few for Cami and freeze them.
    The more meat the better as far as my girl is concerned. I stopped giving soup bones since they are weight bearing bones and are very hard (she broke a tooth and had to have it removed). The non weight bearing bones like ribs, wings, etc...are much softer (as far as raw bones go).
    If this is a new treat you need to make sure that a good portion of marrow (if contained) is removed or only allow for short times with it. Too much marrow can cause tummy upset if they are not used to it.

3. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

My grocery stores even the butcher at the store doesn't have the ability to give me anything due to the fact that what I would want isn't in the meats they order, but they do have them prepackaged in the meat cases, things like knuckle bones, marrow bones, soup bones, beef ribs, etc so when I asked the butcher they were happy to show me where they were.

Now you could go to a real butcher at a meat shop/butcher shop (non grocery store) and you could easily pick and choose what you wanted.

Either way is fine really, whatever is more economical and easiest for you to get to. When I got some marrow bones, they were prepackaged, I got 3 that were a very good size and it was about $4 for the 3 of them at Safeway.

Good luck.

4. Barron's mom

Barron's mom Completely Boxer Crazy

I find marrow bones prepackaged in the meat section at Stop and Shop, and in the freezer section at a local grocery store, and Stew Leonards. Just make sure to buy the bones big enough so your dog cannot swallow it. Ask the butcher if you cannot find them. I have done that in the past and they are only too willing to assist you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.