1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do I feed the cat??

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by BoxerMoments, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoxerMoments

BoxerMoments Super Boxer

We just moved into our new house and slept here for the first time last night. At our previous house there was a room (kids play room) in the house that Dakota was never allowed to go in since we first got him as a puppy so over time he just knew not to step foot in there and never did. In this house there really aren't any rooms, except maybe bedrooms, that I can keep him out of. This house is a raised ranch and we are keeping the pets upstairs until we get things put away and organized, so the downstairs is a little crazy right now. When we got the cat 8 months ago we just stuck all his stuff in the kids play room including his food because we knew Dakota would never go out there but now I don't know what to do. I have no idea where to leave the cats food because Dakota will for sure eat it when someone's not looking if we just leave it out somewhere. He loves any type of food that is on the floor or near it. :) Maybe it's because I'm exhausted but I can't figure out where I can put the cats food. I always leave out dry food for him in one bowl and then give him wet in the AM & PM in the other bowl. SO there is almost always dry food out and he doesn't always eat all the wet right away. Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated! :) Also, at this point there's no where I can gate off and put his food. I was thinking a bedroom for now but he can be noisy with his stainless bowls. HELP!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. nalabear

nalabear Super Boxer

I know when your moving how crazy things can be so my suggestion may be difficult to deal with right now, but this is what we do.

We have all the dog and cat food bowls together on one location. Nala has lived with the cats all her life so she learned as a pup that she wasn't allowed to eat out of anything but her bowls so she doesn't. On occation she will get a hair up her butt and eat it but we correct immediatly and move on.

Now or new boy Reo he is 2. We got him the end of Feb begining of march. He has never lived with a cat and the previous owner always had trouble with him eating the other dogs food. He ate quick and ran to eat the others. So what we did is that he learned that he wasn't even allowed to sniff the other food bowls (He did get the cats food a few times during this time frame because I wasn't quick enough :) ). If he went anywhere near it we said no and if he didn't listen we removed him from the area. We kept a very close eye on him for the first several weeks until he learned that that was not his and he may not touch or go near it at all. He now has free range of the house and doesn't touch anyone elses food bowl but his. Even when Nala doesn't eat all her food he leaves it alone and our kitty always has food in her bowl wet and dry. He won't even drink out of Nala's, or our kittys water bowls, only his. We did not teach the water bowls, he figured that one out on his own. He does still try on occation but he gets a quick correction and we don't worry about it.

Congratulation on your new place.

3. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

I have my cats food bowls (dry and wet) plus a water dish up on a bedroom dresser. Waist high so she can easily jump up or she can use the bed and just take a step and walk to it.
    Cami never bothered her food and I just started Raine off as a pup to leave that vicinity alone! She could easily stand up on her hind legs OR walk on the dresser from the bed to get the food but leaves it be. Has worked in my house for over 8 years now. I just don't get to put anything on that dresser but oh well.

4. DiverDiva

DiverDiva Boxer Insane

Maybe you could get one of those covered litter boxes and use it as a kitty diner. You would need to find one with a hole that is large enough for the cat to get through but is too small for the dog's head to get through. Just a thought.

5. BoxerMoments

BoxerMoments Super Boxer

Thanks for the replies! :)

As far as if I think I would ever be able to get Dakota to leave the cats food alone if it were anywhere on the floor that he could get to, I don't think there's ever a chance of that happening. If we were in sight he would definitely leave it alone but as soon as we left the room or house there's no way he would be able to help himself to it.

Right now I have the cats food in the corner of the living room inbetween the couches where a side table might go. I have one couch overlapping the other by maybe 3 inches and he hasn't touched it so for now until I get things settled, that's where it'll be.

The idea of putting it up somewhere higher could also work because although Dakota is very much into food he has never once taken anything off a table or counter. As long as it was high enough that it is above his head level while on four feet I think he would do fine.

If all else fails, I also thought about maybe a covered litter box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.