1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will my boxer begin to be protective?

Discussion in 'Behavioral Issues' started by AQHA, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AQHA

AQHA Boxer Pal

Boxers are not a vicious or mean dog but it seems that most are pretty good watch dogs. I'm hoping my little 14 week male will develop this. I want him to tell me when a car pulls in the driveway. When do boxers normally start to show this? Dobermans show it very early, Boston Terriers (LOVE EM!) show it later. This is my first Boxer so its all new to me.

Thank you!

2. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

Boxers are hearing guard dogs. They generally alert their owners to things they hear or see that are out of the ordinary. This really isn't about being protective, IMO. In my experience my girls have always alerted me to things that are unusual. I know when it is trash day....cans set out at the curb will get Raine going and this is a weekly occurrence. Some days I will have to leash her up and walk her to the cans and recycle bins from my own house and let her inspect them. Once that is done she is good til the next week!
    Anything that gets blown into the yard also brings on a bark fest with a little huffing and puffing thrown in.
    Car doors, mail man, loud vehicles, someone walking a dog on the sidewalk in front of the house will have her barking to let me know I need to inspect. Cami was easily quieted when I would thank her for letting me know something was "amiss". Raine as of yet doesn't get it! She will keep going with her alerting and I have to redirect her to something else or close the door, blinds, etc...
    For a more protective type situation I tend to think more along the lines of a perceived threat my dog would feel she would need to step in and handle for me. I don't want my dog to have that type of job so it is my job to protect her. I can't necessarily predict how she would react in a scary type situation but some people would think their dog would protect them. I don't know what my girl would do and I don't want to find out!
    Raine was alerting us to things as young as 8 weeks of age. Some things she has let go of (certain noises she feels comfortable with now) and others still continue to get her all riled up.

3. samsons

samsons Boxer Insane

sAM IS HITTING 3 IN A CPL DAYS ! he in his crazy boxer wisdom has decided it is is SOLE job to keep ALL ppl out of the yard ! ( mind you , you have to go threw 2 gates to get to my door~ ALL ppl include , my MOTHER & anyone that does not live here !! ( this is bad ) ppl he has know since he came to us at one !! he has " nipped" at several ppl trying to open the main gate. would NOT let my mother in 2 times this week !! I have to go call him off the gate ~ YOU DO NOT WANT THIS !! its a very serious issue !! we are still trying to figure out his triggers ... but mind you ... if ur sweet bundle of slobber starts 'protecting " your home in such a manner .. its not normal for boxers .... you need to look at what else is going on !

80# dog that " nips" is a recipe for disaster! sam also is a CGC dog & registered service dog ~ just wont let ppl in his yard. training has nothing to do with it. IMO , u could mugg me when he is "working" n he would stand there ( lol ) it something about HIS house ...

4. AQHA

AQHA Boxer Pal

No I don't want an attacker, that's trouble. I do hope he starts to alert to things though. I think he will, right now he's just goofy and baby'ish. Most boxers look and act mean when you go to their house but then they love you to death. lol

5. CrazyCharlie

CrazyCharlie Completely Boxer Crazy

Charlie was really quiet until he was about 8 months old. Once he started figuring out what was normal (we moved while he was a puppy so he had to re-learn what was his house lol) for our yard/ house then he started to huff and puff "bark" to let us know that someone was in the driveway. Now he will actually bark, but mostly if someone is actually at the door or there are Deer in the yard. If its just someone in the drive way ( our driveway goes to 3 different houses) he will huff and puff until our other dog barks then he barks.

He is not aggressive in the least bit and has never nipped or bitten anyone on purpose. There is of course the occasional bite while ruff housing :) but I just have to say ouch and he gets all wiggle butt and licks me until I tell him I'm ok. lol .

6. AQHA

AQHA Boxer Pal

I was at a breeder friends house the other day and his female boxer was being a little protective, she was trying to mouth my hand, borderline hard. It wasn't play it was her trying to establish dominance. He said she does that with men mostly. I was happy to see her doing her job, she was a classy little dog. His males were all over me with play. This breeder claims his females tend to be better alert dogs... is this just his line or have others seen this?

My little guy is 14 weeks. He's so clueless, at this point he's still learning so much he doesn't have time to be a guard dog. He's a brave boy though. We were in the barn lastnight working on a metal project and there were saws and grinders and all sorts of loud noises going on, he was a little nervous at first but then he settled right in and didn't mind any of it. Very brave.

7. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

Don't worry about it yet. It will take some time before he even notices anything past his own nose! LOL

Lily was about 2ish and I never thought she'd be any good at guarding - she was fearful and reactive and barked at anything. One night someone tried to open my front door - well that scaredy cat Lily went into super-guard mode and that was it! I openend the door and let her go and she chased whoever it was to the back of our property. She came back spitting, huffing, growling and was quite the schwartzeneger. I now know she will step up and protect if she sees me in danger. But until that job comes around again, she's usually hiding behind me or cowering at everyday noises. LOL

With boxers, I think it just comes natural, as with most dogs. No training necessary!

8. AQHA

AQHA Boxer Pal

I think you are very right about that! :)

9. RockyCody

RockyCody Completely Boxer Crazy

Rocky didn't bark AT all until we taught him the 'speak' command - which I wish we never did. He was about 10 months old.

He now will bark/alert us very much like how susi described raine. ANYTHING he hears or sees that is not normal - puff, ruff, followed by LOUD barking.

Our neighbors have their christmas lights up directly across the street from us. they shine into the glass by our front door. EVERY night when they turn them on it takes rocky 30 minutes to understand they are FRICKIN lights ;)

While I do appreciate him alerting me to things that are unusual, it also scares me a lot when I'm home alone. Doesn't matter - if someone were to break in Rocky would attack them WITH KISSES and SLOBER!

10. sargboxerluv

sargboxerluv Completely Boxer Crazy

All dogs are different. My female NEVER barked at anything. But that doesn't mean she didn't alert me. She would run towards the noise and just stand there and stare.

My male started giving warning barks at 4 months old and only after being with us for a week. And he still insists on barking at everything, which I find very annoying. Because once he starts he won't stop! And he is very load now that he is only a few weeks shy of 1 year old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.