1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to switch from puppy food to adult

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by meoklmrk, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meoklmrk

meoklmrk Boxer Buddy

Cooper is 7 months, he has been on a high quality dry puppy food since I got him. I know that Boxers stay in the puppy stage longer than most other breeds, but is this also true for their bodies? and when should I start the process of switching him to adult food?

2. dsmit

dsmit Boxer Booster

You can switch him now. I switched Tyson at 6 months to an adult food and he did great doing the transition.

3. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

You can switch him now. 6 months is considered "adult" in food-terms. :) A food that is labeled for "All Life Stages" is just that -- suitable for young puppies through adults.

4. meoklmrk

meoklmrk Boxer Buddy

Excellent, thank you. I will take him to the pet store on Friday to check his weight and pick up some adult food, although I'm sure a few toys will end up coming home too!

5. dropzone

dropzone Boxer Booster

I'll be changing my puppy over during the next few weeks. He's 6 months right now. I've actually been reading more and more lately that puppy food is actually never necessary. I've read that the extra calories in it may actually contribute to a dog growing too quickly, which is considered unhealthy. I've also read that "puppy food" was mostly a gimmick to charge more by the big brands (pedigree, ol'roy, etc). Since most loving puppy parents wanted to do right by their puppies, we all bought puppy food. According to the same article, many of the high quality brands didn't produce a "puppy food" at all, because it wasn't necessary. The only reason they do now is to compete, because people simply will not buy their food if it isn't labeled specifically for a puppy. This is the same marketing strategy that has eukanuba producing breed specific food, and we all know how low quality their ingredients are. Any real high quality food is going to have enough nutrients for both adults and puppies alike. Although my puppy is still finishing his current bag of puppy food, I may never bother with puppy food ever again.

6. sargboxerluv

sargboxerluv Completely Boxer Crazy

My puppy is 4 months old and has been eating TOTW since we brought him home last month (at 15 weeks). It's an all life stage food and my adult boxer eats it. He actually decided himself the puppy chow wasn't good enough and ate the TOTW instead. My vet had a boxer until it passed last year, and he said it was fine because puppy food is a gimick anyway.

7. meoklmrk

meoklmrk Boxer Buddy

Wow, i am actually shocked. I have never heard that before and will definitely be doing some research on it. Thank you for the info.

8. furrykidmom

furrykidmom Completely Boxer Crazy

Never fed puppy food

We were taught the same thing. That puppy food is higher in protein than necessary and can cause them to grow to fast making for weaker bones. This happened with our GSD. We never feed our Boxers puppy food.

9. meoklmrk

meoklmrk Boxer Buddy

Thanks for the advice everyone, went to the petstore and bought 12kgs of James beloved adult. I started the switching process this morning and thus far all seems to be going well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.