1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to crop the ears

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by tAnKrOxX, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tAnKrOxX

tAnKrOxX Boxer Pal

So my boyfriend and I's puppy is about 3 months old. I'm hearing different stories of when we should crop the ears. I wanted to wait until his head was the "grown-up" size so then if his ears were cropped too short, it wouldn't look like he had no ears. But I heard that's not good, that they should be cropped sooner. What do you guys suggest? Should we wait, or should we do it soon? And when is too soon? I just don't want him too look like we screwed up on his ears and he has to walk around with really bad ears. He is our baby after all :D

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Cropping, if done at all, is rarely successful after 12 weeks of age. There aren't too many vets willing to attempt it beyond that age either ;)

3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

You are probably too late already, as the best time to crop is around 8 weeks of age.

You puppy is very cute and has lovely ears, I would leave just well enough alone. I did crop my previous boxer and I can tell you it is a lot of work and there is no guarantee that the ears will stand correctly. I taped Markus' ears for a year and one of them never stood correctly.

Good luck!

4. Kilby'sMum

Kilby'sMum Super Boxer

I don't think much cropping is done here in Aus... we love their floppy ears. I would agree that your baby is probably too old for it now though.

5. gmacleod

And cropping ears has been illegal in Australia since the 1800's ;) so not an option anyway.

6. Kilby'sMum

Kilby'sMum Super Boxer

Yep and docking tails is illegal too but you still see plenty of docked puppies!

7. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

Is it illegal to show a dog with a docked tail but legal to dock the tails of dogs that are intended to be sold to working homes in Australia? That's how it is in parts of Europe.

Personally, I think it is more inhumane to not dock the tail and remove the dewclaws in a working dog and therefore increase the risk of injury in the field than to leave them undocked. I also think that preventing docked/cropped dogs from showing will only further the division between "show" lines and "working" lines in many breeds.

The cropping of the ears, I understand. That procedure takes time to heal, is more invasive, and if care isn't taken with the taping, there is more chance of it going wrong and even resulting in infection. But I have no problem with dewclaw removal or with docking of the tail though, provided it's done on the 3rd day of life. EEG studies in the 60's of newborn pups as well as other studies before and since, show that their nervous systems are not fully developed at 3 days and as a result, they experience virtually no pain associated with the procedures.

8. gmacleod

Well, that rather depends on the type of work the dog is going to do, and whether the country in question has the type of conditions that gave rise to docking/cropping in the first place. Australia broadly does not have those conditions. And zero percent of boxers do that sort of work anyway ;)

9. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

You're absolutely right. I was primarily refering to some of the breeds of hunting dogs who are out in rough brush all day. Tail injuries are not uncommon in spaniels left undocked as well as German pointers--and a ripped dewclaw is a nasty thing.

I just think to make a blanket statement that docking, cropping, and dewclaw removal are inhumane really doesn't do anyone--even the dogs sometimes--any good at all. Yes, docking for purely cosmetic reasons, or docking past the recommended age are ethically questionable. But to say that someone is inhumane for docking their working spaniel is rediculous to me.

10. gmacleod

Nobody said it... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.