1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When should testicles be down?

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by hagler, Mar 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

When the testicles drop out of the abdominal cavity, they are quite tiny. Most people do not notice them until they are in the sac. Even a testicle that drops out of the abdomen is not guaranteed to follow through to the sac. This is why you never pick up a male puppy in a stretching manner. Do not pick him up under the arm pits and let his rear end just dangle. The testicles are on cords and all you are doing is reeling that cord back in. Always craddle a male puppy's rear when you are picking them up. Even if you see both testicles in the sac, still continue to pick them up in this fashion for a few weeks.

Better safe than sorry :)

2. Sarah Lynn

Sarah Lynn Boxer Booster

Male Leg Hiking

At Sampson's first vet we were concerned and he will be six months on June 17th and the other one has never dropped. We will neuter him and hope that it won't be difficult to go in and find the other one. One other question, does anyone know when a male Boxer typically will begin to hike his leg to urinate? We have a 4.5 month old female that obviously squats. We didn't know if Sampson should already be hiking his leg or is not doing it because he sees the female squating as he always has. Just curious.

Sarah

3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

They usually start lifting their legs somewhere between 9 months and a year, though some never do.

4. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

Booker T did it somewhere around 9 months old. But he only started doing it when he watched an old male peeing on a tree. Up until then he was only around Crystal and so would just stoop to pee. :LOL: I had no problem with that.

The first time he tried, he kind of wobbled and almost fell. The next time he tried he peed on me :)

5. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

Buck's first testicle didn't drop until around 12 weeks...his second at 16 weeks. I had pretty much gave up on the second one dropping until I read that it can take up to the 6th month to do so. Not sure how true this is but it gave me some hope.;)

Buck is now 10 months old and still squats/half stands to pee. Tyson turned 4 yrs old 6-18 and I had never seen him squat to pee until Buck came along. Tyson will now squat 50% of the time.:rolleyes: They're such copy cats!!:LOL:

Speaking of peeing...Pru of course squats but will walk at the same time, has been known to pee and eat at the same time and walk, pee and sniff the ground all at the same time!! She's our crazy one of the bunch.:D

6. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

Good luck! I am sure it will turn out just fine. Yes, this is definitely for the best. You do not want to leave those retained testicles any longer than necessary.

Just more reasons to spoil him rotten when he gets from the vet :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.