1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When should testicles be down?

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by hagler, Mar 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hagler

hagler Boxer Buddy

Hagler will be 12 weeks on monday and yet neither of his testicles are down.Should i be concerned or is there a time when they should certainly be down?And if they don't is there anything that can be done at the vet for them to drop?Either way im so pleased with hagler.i love him to death, when we picked our pup we had picked in hopes of showing him.The breeder had 4 pups.2 for pet and 2 that she said had the markings to be a "show"So instead of paying $600 for the pet i paid $1200 for hagler with the hopes of showing him.It don't matter to me but i would really love to show him.If they drop thats great i can show him,if they don't oh well i still got a great dog.

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I would be concerned as they would normally have dropped by now. That doesn't mean that they are not going too, but the older they get, the less likely it is to happen. :(

By all means, get your vet to have a look. I don't know if there is a lot that they can do, but they might be able to give you an indication as to whether they think it is likely to happen.

If testicles don't drop, I think the breeder owes you a refund as he is no longer a show prospect. :(

3. hagler

hagler Boxer Buddy

Thanks Jan,
    I think i got stiffed by my breeder,I still have no papers or pedigree,and when i call her she don't return my calls or my e-mails,i have a reciept that states the contract will be sighned upon recieval of registration papers,then we contacted the CKC and the breeder still never even registered the litter.

4. Jan

It is illegal to sell a dog in Canada as a purebred and not provide papers. You can report her to the CKC.

5. andrea_fl

andrea_fl Boxer Booster

My Max is 9 wks and no testicles yet. What is the age they should drop by?

6. hagler

hagler Boxer Buddy

Hagler is 12 weeks now and i had him to the vet at 10 weeks and no testicles,but this week i was there and now 1 is down and he said the other is not but he can feel it up in side.He said sometimes the other may not drop up till 6 months most likely no later than that.

7. Jan

That's great news, that one testicle has dropped. Maybe the other one will drop yet. :)

8. andrea_fl

andrea_fl Boxer Booster

When they drop, can you see a bulge, or can only the vet tell you?

9. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

I can only speak from the experience of my own puppies. Mine are down at 10 weeks. To be honest, a breeder should not sell a puppy for $1200 as "show" if when that puppy leaves the house you did not see two testicles.

There is not such thing as "marked for show". Pet breeders sometimes use such terms to make people believe the puppy has more quality than a plainer marked puppy. Nothing could be further than the truth. Markings have nothing to do with show quality short of the fact you are not allowed to have too much white markings.

I politely disagree with a vet that says they can drop at 6 months. I agree with the other poster that said the breeder owes you $600 since they LEGALLY CITED this being the price for a pet versus a show from their litter. They quoted you a legal price and they must stand behind it.

All that aside, please give your boy a kiss and hug from me :)

10. ezmadd

ezmadd Boxer Pal

My max is 18 weeks old and neither of his testicals have dropped. According to our vet they should have been down by 6 weeks. Any longer than that and you can pretty much bet there not coming. If one has come down then the vet should be able to make a small incison and pull the other one through it. Since neither of Max's dropped he has to have them surgically removed (more like a spay). Hope everything go's well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.