When do Boxers become protective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby B

Boxer Pal
My boxer is a flashy brindle male. He is 2 years old and still acts and plays like a puppy. He is not protective of the house, me or my wife. He just wants to play and kiss everyone..........including intruders! Will he ever become protective of the family?

Amy Lyn

Super Boxer
I think it just depends on the individual boxer. My cousin had one that didn't become protective until he was well into the adult years, on the other hand, our boxer is pretty protective right now and he's only 3 months old. Although, once he is able to see who it is, he kidney beans like the dickens!

------------------
Amy Lyn
Wagner (Fawn, black mask) b: 04/25/00
Clark (Fawn, black mask) b: 03-11-99 (Rainbow Bridge 05-06-00)

Kindra

Boxer Buddy
I think it depends on what you consider an intruder to be. If it's someone you invite in your house there is no reason for them to be protective. Dogs are very smart and can sense things, if you don't feel threatened then your dog shouldn't act protective. If you really had an "intruder" in your house and your Boxer didn't do anything, I don't know why this could be. Maybe he was just scared, or something. Just my 2 cents.

------------------
Kindra (Winnie and Pocquie's Mom)
Winnie 1-1-98 flashy brindle female
Pocquie 1-3-98 plain reverse brindle female

C

ChrisM

I agree with Kindra...if your boxer doesn't sense fear in you, he/she in not likely to respond if they are really laid back.

I didn't think that Tess would ever be protective either since everyone she met was a friend. Until.....someone came last month to fix the sink and she got between the children and the front door and growled! Last night I was walking from the back field to the house (it was dark) when my hubby pulled up in his new truck. SHe put her body right in front of me and barked and growled until I said the key phrase that she LOVES to hear "Daddy's home!" She then looked closer and saw who it was and became her usual kidney beanin' old self!

Most family dogs will protect if it comes down to the real thing, don't loose hope!

------------------

Mom to:
LADY - White female, natural ears. Rainbow Bridge February 2000

TESS - Flashy Fawn female, born Dec, 1999, natural ears

ZELDA - Semi-flashy Female, natural ears, born May 31, 2000

Linda

Boxer Insane
I agree that it does depend on the dog. And I don't think, in general, boxers are "guard dogs." But their breed characteristics lists them being cautious around strangers.

Personally I don't want my dogs to be "protective." I'd hate for someone to get bit. Too much risk! I'd rather that they be friendly.

baylor

Boxer Pal
Our 1.5 year old female is a walking kidney bean (i.e., she is always happy to meet people and other dogs) sometimes even peeing out of excitement. However, she started to growl and bark at the door when a stranger knocked on the door and we were startled. Now she growls and barks all the time. She sounds mean, but I don't think she would actually bite even if it was a threatening stranger; maybe maybe not I don't know. I think when you "genuinely" experience some type of stress or fear of someone even if there is no actual danger your dog will read you. I believe this because I didn't think our little clown would be protective, but she eventually did when a situation finally triggerred something inside her...Baylor

Tom

Boxer Buddy
I'm not sure that my 5 y/o male or 4 y/o female are much in to protection. They do bark and alert the house when someone different comes in the yard or even on to our cul-de-sac. Their presence is protection enough. When you come up my front steps you pass by a large picture window just above, Usually, they are standing there, with the fore paws on the sill, looking down. All you see is chest and muzzle. Its pretty impressive. I've had delivery men tell me tha they had second thoughts about making the delivery when they looked up and saw my two.

chickenz

Boxer Booster
Boxers are not "protective", by nature. They are categorized often as alert dogs, bot not guard dogs. They are known to alert you when something is out of the ordinary, but not likely to do anything about it. However, i think they are likely to be protective around children.

This is more on what I've read, than anything I have experienced.

------------------
Maggie - flashy fawn, born 4/2000, natural ears, part human.

JoAnn

Super Boxer
Samson just over a year, is extremely protective of us, noone can enter our house unless invited. He will go after you. But once he knows your okay he is a big mushy mess. Athena is just about 6 months old and last night surprised us by growling and barking because she heard a noise outside. They are so different Samson is a go after them right away type, Athena is a quiet observer she just watches and assesess the situation first. I have no doubt in my mind that they would give their lives for us. The way crime is up in my town I feel a little better knowing they are around.

Bobby B

Boxer Pal
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoAnn:
Samson just over a year, is extremely protective of us, noone can enter our house unless invited. He will go after you. But once he knows your okay he is a big mushy mess. Athena is just about 6 months old and last night surprised us by growling and barking because she heard a noise outside. They are so different Samson is a go after them right away type, Athena is a quiet observer she just watches and assesess the situation first. I have no doubt in my mind that they would give their lives for us. The way crime is up in my town I feel a little better knowing they are around. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

did you train them to be protective? if so how?

Status
Not open for further replies.