1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you start training for baby?

Discussion in 'Boxers & Children' started by LucNesbitt, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LucNesbitt

LucNesbitt Super Boxer

DH and I are 10.5 weeks pregnant with our first child (YEAH!!) and one of the first things we thought of was of course how to make sure Moab adjusts well to life with baby. We know there are a lot of things we can do to help train him and prepare him for this big change but are curious as to when's a good time to start. Any ideas?

Also, beside what's listed below, any additional ideas on what or how to train him? I've browsed a few other posts for these ideas, but don't have time at the moment to look through all of them so any help from those who have been thru this would be great!

1) CD of baby sounds
    2) carrying around a baby doll
    3) introducing him to baby's room when set up
    4) reinforcing sit, down, stay, leave it, go to your bed
    5) putting various baby toys / play mats on floor and teaching him they are off limits

2. x19er

x19er Boxer Insane

Congratulations :)

Well we didn't really do anything to prepare our dogs and they have been brilliant with our wee boy who is now 10 weeks old. They really seem to know to be careful roundabout him, they check on where he is in the house especially Dino and have taken it all in their stride.

The only problem we had was when Dino's granny arrived with some knitted toys and poor boy was most upset they weren't for him :LOL: Oh and the other one when we say to Calum he's been a clever boy Dino appears too looking very proud so we need to rethink how we praise the boys in the house!

But honestly don't stress about the dogs with baby you'll be surprised how it all falls into place.

3. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

I am due at the end of august. In addition to the things that you mentioned we are also planning on getting the dogs used to walking next to our stroller. I haven’t done it yet because we just got the stroller but I plan on doing it soon. My trainer also suggests the “go to your bed/ mat” command when you are changing diapers so that might be something you’ll want to work on. And of course the “leave it” command will come in handy.

I have been so busy fostering & working throughout this entire pregnancy that I have really let the ball drop when it comes to the training. I am about to place my last foster and then I am planning on talking these next few weeks to get the dogs up to speed. I am hoping that my three will be as good as Sophie & Dino. But you are so smart to start thinking about these things now. I am telling you the pregnancy will FLY by. I cannot believe that I am already 34 weeks! So don’t take your time for granted. Get your nursery going, register for gifts, train the dogs, figure out your monitor, build all the furniture, swing, bouncy chairs, pack n play, etc, etc, and do all this sooner rather than later because towards the end everything will get overwhelming. And if you are anything like me you will suddenly come up with a million projects that “need” to get done before the baby’s arrival. I am currently driving DH nuts with all my “nesting” and home improvement projects.

Good luck!

4. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

Yeah I agree. We adopted Lucas (our first Boxer) when I was 39 weeks pregnant and I had my son when I was 43 weeks pregnant, so we had had Lucas around a month before my son came into the picture, we honestly did nothing but bring him home and Lucas was absolutely fabulous with him right up until the end. Even when that dog had a brain tumor and would snap at me at times he NEVER hurt or tried to hurt or looked like he would hurt a hair on that child's head. You know your dog and you know what he needs to be okay with your baby. I wouldn't stress too much over it.

5. mulligansmom

mulligansmom Boxer Buddy

Mulligan was 18mos when we brought our first daughter home...and, yes, I read all the "what to do to prepare your dog..."

Mulligan was great -- and the only major piece of advice I can give you is to walk in the house WITHOUT the baby and greet your dog yourself. (DH can be in the car w/ the baby or wherever...but don't bring in that baby, have DH do it.)

We did it this way and Mulligan was just so overjoyed to see me since I'd been gone for a few days, he was more into me than the baby! Once DH brought Cheyenne (my DD) in, Mulligan went over and sniffed her (have the camera ready!). We then put her carseat in her room so she'd stay asleep and then I did what I swear also helped -- I leashed him and we went on a walk together. It was FABULOUS to be outside (even in December) and breathe FRESH air as opposed to "hosptial" air, and it also gave him the one-on-one time he needed.

From then on -- he really was a love, we have pictures of him peeking in on her, etc. We did the whole "bring the baby blanket home" and stuff like that...I guess it works? I think it has more to do w/ how you react when you first come home. Mulligan was our first baby -- and he knew it!

When my 2nd DD came along...it was just odd. The night of my due date, Mulligan got so sick, my husband had to rush him to the ER (Mulligan woke me up and I was convinced it was bloat). He had to stay there (it was the beginning stages of bloat -- had he not woken me up, he would've died) and when he came home, his first night home he came and woke me again. I was scared to death b/c he was so upset -- then I realized, he woke me up b/c my water was breaking. He sensed it before I did -- I always say, "Mulligan saved our mattress!" Right before we left for the hospital, he vomitted all over the kitchen -- he was a mess w/ that pregnancy. He took it very hard!!

We brought Kaelan home and I did the same thing...Mark brought her in after I came in to be w/ him first. I took him outside and played, just one-on-one time again.

These poor pups have no clue what's going on...they sense your body changing, and can do nothing to stop it. They protect us first and foremost, and I think their fear is for us, ya know?

They'll adapt, and Mulligan turned out to be amazing w/ both girls -- as I'm sure yours will be too!!

Take care!!

6. LucNesbitt

LucNesbitt Super Boxer

Thank you all for your advice! I had never thought that I would need to come in and greet Moab first before bringing in baby. I'm glad I asked and now I know. Moab's already treating me differently, which is so sweet. I just want to make sure that he knows we still love him and that even if we can't play quite as much as we do now, that he's still our baby. I'm sure he'll be wonderful and really am not that worried ... I just want to make sure we've thought of ways to make the transition as easy as possible.

Now, if I could just figure out what to do about my oldest cat, Cleo, that would be nice. She's never handled change well (nipping, hissing, swatting, etc.) and I'm really worried about how she'll be. Too bad there's not a cat forum like boxerworld!

7. Darien'sDad

Darien'sDad Boxer Booster

Another thing your DH can do is bring one of the baby's blankets home the day befor you come home. That way he can get your furbaby used to the smell of the new baby.

I wouldn't worry too much about how Moab will react. We were worried too but then Darien put all our worries to rest...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQz5uZayelM

8. Linswatson

Linswatson Boxer Booster

First of all... greeting the dog first without the baby is an excellent idea - we did the same thing, DH stayed in the car while I made a fuss over Buford, then calmed him down, then he brought the babies in. Worked wonderfully.

Second of all... you went for a walk the day you got home from the hospital??!! You are a tough cookie :)

The baby noises CD didn't really serve a purpose other than entertainment (Buford's head cocking back and forth at the speakers). Neither did carrying a doll around (dogs are too smart, they know the difference between a baby and a doll).

DO put your baby swing up early and use it often - the motion and noise freaked him out at first and I'm glad he was used to it by the time the baby got there.

9. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

That's what mine have been doing too!

10. RebJim

RebJim Boxer Pal

Getting ready for baby

We had 2 boxers at the time our daughter was born 3 years ago, Emma and Sampson (RIP). My husband and I did everything you have listed to get ready for our daughter, Sydney. When Sydney was born, I had my husband take a blanket or two home from the hospital each day for the dogs to get used to her smell before we brought Sydney home.
    I think it actually helped with the transition. The dogs were still excited, but the smell was familiar enough that they didn't go crazy.

Good luck!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.