when are they full grown???

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordraceing_

Super Boxer
kadie is 21weeks old, shes a white female and weights 32lbs. is that light for a boxer at this age? also how old until they are full grown?

lol i think her ears and her head have different grown rates her ears will look really big on her for a week or so then she will grow into them then her ears will start growing again then we will grow into them again, its too funny.

any ways just wondering about how big she will get and if this is a good weight for her age. everyone tells me she is so skinny because you can see her ribs but i think its how she is soupose to be and she eats good and she eats chicken soup which i read here is soupose to be one of the best foods.

thanks,
joe

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Yes, it is perfectly normal for a boxer puppy to be ribby at this age. Actually, it's quite normal for them to be so until at least 18 months, and often 2 years old. Also, 32 lb sounds perfectly fine to me for a 21 week old pup.

Boxer puppies generally grow upward until they're about 14-18 months of age. Not as quickly as she's growing now, of course, the rate will decrease as she gets bigger. And once they're done growing taller, they will slowly start to fill out. So you'll see the "finished product" when she's between 2 and 3 years old.

K8IE

Boxer Insane
When my last boxer Samson was a pup he was always so lean and people would say "don't you feed your dog?" I had to explain to people that most boxers grow up before they grow out! It is funny how the growth spurts go too, I know what you mean about them looking disproportioned, ears too big for their heads, legs too long for their bodies... :) Once Samson was about 2 he was done growing and such a gorgeous boy, everything will even out eventually! I don't think Killian has ever been skinny though, he is a rather "beefy" boy. :)

sandy's mom

Boxer Insane
I know they stop growing, physically, but I don't think boxers ever mentally grow up. It is part of their special charm. :) Napoleon is 1.5 and his body is still changing, not growing, just changing.

Cami

Boxer Insane
My girl is just over 2 years old (almost 27 months to be exact). I still get people saying that she is bigger than the last time they saw her and it could only be a month or so. I think her chest is still filling out. Her highest weight was 60lbs, and she was at the vets office yesterday and she weighed 56.2lbs (lots of trips to the dog park lately!). I wouldn't be concerned, your girl is still a baby and not finished growing just yet.

Diesel Dog

Boxer Booster
THis might sound stupid

BUt as they grow up does their head change as well? I know I won't see the finished product till he's 2 or 3. And I do see him filling out now at 10 months, he hasn't grown up in 3 months, I try to check him every month. He just has a little longer nose then the classic boxer, I'm just wondering if that changes as he gets older? Besides that, he might be half boxer / half sneaky neighbor horse. He's 92 lbs/27 inches

boxer

Boxer Insane
Well, the head does take time to mature, yes. But that generally entails general broadening, and development of the flews and padding - it does not normally include shortening of the muzzle. Long muzzles on boxers are usually (but not exclusively) the result of poor breeding practices - by which I mean little adherence to or consideration of the breed standard in selection of which dogs to breed from, or pair together.

Imoenboxers

Boxer Booster
Boxers are a changing.....

I have found over the years that Boxers seem to change, week by week as they are younger, but as they get older, they change only slightly. As mentioned in previous posts, you will not normally see the "finished product" until they are between 2-3 years old.

But in saying this, it also depends on the bloodlines of the dogs, as some "finish" sooner than others. What I mean by this is some will shoot up and sprout out by the time they are 18 months old. Some will take a little longer to "mature" so to speak. But no matter how fast or slow they mature, they are still our babies............

I have a girl that at 12 months had an "interesting" mouth (the bottom jaw was not straight, you could almost say wry), but by the time she was 2, she had nice straight teeth on the lower jaw (as per the standard for showing) and has retained that. Her daughter has the same at 11 months old, but it is getting better each month that goes past. So the boxer head and mouth does change too....

I also have another dog who was fully grown upward at 9 months old, but took until he was 3 to totally fill out. He looks great now, but as a puppy was always all legs! Was quite funny to watch.. I suppose like a tall race horse, who ends up in a pet home, because they don't know what to do with their legs at 2 years of age when they are already 17 hands high.... LOL...

So all boxers seem to grow at different rates, not all are show quality, but most boxers are in loving homes, no matter what they look like and that is all that matters...

Mel

Diesel Dog

Boxer Booster
Thank You

Thanks for the responses. That helps me with my question. With no plan to plan to show, Don't know why it was even a question, I think it was just I get questions alot becasue of his size, and him not being "classic" looking. Regardless he's my little buddy I love him and can't wait to see the finished product.

ebaxter

Boxer Booster
I just read all these posts, and it brings back memories of Duke as a pup. Diesel, I know what you mean about the ears growing, and then the head, I saw that too. I think Duke finally stopped gaining weight due to growth at about 3.5 years. He has finilly stopped. The thing is they never grow up mentally, just physically.

Status
Not open for further replies.