1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's up with the neck string?

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by Kymmi, Dec 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kymmi

Kymmi Boxer Pal

Hi! I know absolutely NOTHING about showing dogs but was hoping someone could tell me why I see so many pictures with a black string used to pull up the boxer's head? What is the purpose in this? And is it done so that it doesn't bother the dog? It just doesn't look comfy and I wonder why it's done.

TIA!

2. Jeanne

Jeanne Guest

What you are probably seeing is the show collar, which for boxers is fine and light as they are short haired dogs and you don't want a collar that distracts fro the dog. The clooar is used in photos to *set up* the dog to it's best advantage, so it looks elegant and alert. It does not bother the dog, most will have that stance when alert naturally.

3. Kymmi

Kymmi Boxer Pal

Thank you for this info Jeanne. I figured it was something like that.

4. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

As Jeanne said, this is the show lead. But contrary to popular belief, we are not holding their head up. We are holding them back from chasing the neat toys the photographers are usually tossing around :)

Sunny Northern California
    Boxer Champions and Loving Pets

5. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

Yes, the lead often looks very tight as if it's pulling on the dog, but the trained dog isn't resisting -- the handler is just removing the slack from the lead so that the presentation of the dog is neat -- the last thing you want when the dog is posing prettily is a saggy droppy lead hanging over their head.

Kathryn Saxon
    Daisax Boxers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.