1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's the best food to give?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by troymel, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rajaboxer

rajaboxer Boxer Buddy

Purina and Pedigree = bad food

I can't say enough about feeding a high-quality, all natural food. I feed my own dogs Flint River Ranch. It's fabulous.

2. NJBOXER

NJBOXER Boxer Buddy

I just got my new boxer puppy and I'm using what the breeder uses and told us to use. Its Performatrin puppy formula kibble with a little of the same brand wet food puppy formula and Nupro (not nutro) Glucosamine powder supplement mixed in with a little warm water added. This mixes everything in and it comes out like a thick stew mix. When he gets older we'll move on to the adult version of this brand unless we find another brand that is better and max can benefit from.

3. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

Loose stool can also be caused by OVERFEEDING your dog. Please check the amounts you are feeding and maybe cut back a little to see of this might be the problem.

Mine had loose stools with Nutro and Innova. I just switched to Canidae and things have finally firmed up.

Good luck.

4. matilda8255

matilda8255 Boxer Insane

My dogs also had a hard time with Innova and we ended up on Azmira classic. It is expensive food but my dogs have not had any problems since they have been on it. They love the taste and even my picky eater wolfs it down. It has special herbs in it to aid with digestion so the food switching isn't as bad on your pup and is totaly natural. When you go with the quality food the bags last longer because you don't have to feed as much. I have two big dogs 52lbs & 58lbs on the food and a 35lb bag $44.99 has lasted me over a month.

All of the dog foods you have tried in the past contain corn. Alot of dogs have allergies to corn.

5. Spotty's people

Spotty's people Super Boxer

Pet's First for us...

We switched to Pet's First (Western Canadian made similar to Solid Gold & Innova) last fall for Spot. Mosely has been on it since he came to us. Both dogs do well; eat well, poop less, NO GAS (!!!!), good energy levels, healthy, etc.

Of course, it is expensive. But they eat less than cheaper brands & it is the next best thing to me making their food from scratch, i.e. convenient. We have it delivered to our door (another bonus for me!) &we have been happy with the service & product since starting the dogs on it.

You will have to do some searching, but please check out the other feeding forums to find out lots of other info (as MyRocky first said). Also check websites to see what the ingredients are & what things mean on the ingredient list.

the petsfirst website is (f.y.i.)http://pets1st.com/pf/firstpage.html

6. rajaboxer

rajaboxer Boxer Buddy

Unfortunately...

Ya get whatcha pay for. Get used to runny stools. Sorry...

7. rumsgirl

rumsgirl Boxer Booster

If you try Flint River Ranch just buy a small amount to try. I just started all of mine on it and the LOVE it, the only draw back was that Madchen broke out in hives from it, so now I am back to square one trying to find a better food than Eukanuba .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.