1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's the best food to give?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by troymel, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troymel

troymel Boxer Buddy

someone help us please!!!!:confused: we have changed our dogs food twice now. our hayden, always ate purina puppy chow, then to dog chow for large breeds. he always had runny stool every now and then. sometimes normal, but not often as it should have been. so when we got lukas, we tried him on it, before we switched hayden off of it. lukas had the same problem. he never got solid, normal stool. the vet said to switch, maybe feed them a little yogurt once in awhile too. so we did. we switched to pedigree crunchy bites with lamb and rice. we weened them off of purina on to this pedigree. things were fine for a LITTLE while. it's been 6 to 8 weeks now, and they are doing the same thing again. SOFT STOOL all the time. so what's the best food out there? i know boxers can have sensitive stomachs. we can't afford 35 bucks for a 30 pound bag either. with two dogs, we go through 55 pounds in maybe 2 weeks. so is there a website with good dog food on it that we can't get in stores? please comment!

thanks. mel

hayden (2 years old) red fawn, black-white mask, docked and cropped

lukas (11 months) solid white, docked and cropped

2. myrocky

myrocky Boxer Insane

This topic has been discussed so many times and in such great length as well. If you do a search you will find loads of threads on this very same situation. If you are looking for a good kibble then it is going to be more expensive. However the upside is that you don't feed nearly as much as you are now on the grocery store foods and you will get less stool content :)

3. D'sMom

D'sMom Super Boxer

SOLID GOLD!!!

We switched over to Solid Gold from Innova....Innova is a great food but Dasia had problems with it because of the turkey i believe. She had loose stool and when she would eliminate it looked like she was straining.

However switching to Solid Gold we have had NO PROBLEMS! Dasia and Bianca's poop are "perfect" they are not runny nor loose. They are of a "cake" like consistency. Dasia does not strain anymore when going.

We also gave Solid Gold to our neighbor who has a fawn Boxer who had runny stool and sometimes diarrea ( i think they where feeding her Natures recipe?) Anyways they tried the Solid Gold, their dog LOVES it pushes out the old food just to eat the new food. The stool is solid and they dont' have any problems with upset tummies!! They are very happy with Solid Gold! You might want to try it out :)

<wow sorry if i sounded like a commercial>

4. Debbie Magon

Debbie Magon Boxer Pal

From 3 weeks weaning time to geriatric my boxers have basically the same diet.
    Raw meat, veggies, eggs, cereals, fruits, etc.
    If raw is too difficult for humans to come to terms with, lightly cooked offers almost as good an alternative.

Im not saying can the dried foods but how about adding one natural meal a day and one dried meal??

With my boxers average life spans approaching 12, I think there is a lot to be said for variety.
    Certainly worth a try!

5. nern

nern Boxer Booster

You could try Diamond , its not the best but its a good value for the price and would be a step up from purina dog chow and pedigree. Here it costs about $17 for 40lbs.
    http://www.diamondpet.com

Many of the expensive brands are calorie dense so you have to feed less to meet your dogs energy needs. If you were to compare the cost of feeding per day rather than per bag you will see that the "expensive" brands do not cost much more and in some cases actually cost less than the lower quality brands.

One Example is Ol' Roy which has 274kcals per cup and costs about $7.00 for 20lbs while Innova has 557kcals per cup and costs about $18 for 16.6lbs. A dog needing 1600kcals per day would have to eat about 5 1/2 cups of Ol' Roy to meet his energy needs or would have to eat only about 2 3/4 cups of Innova to meet these energy needs. Conclusion : A 16.6lb bag of Innova will last as long as " two" 20lb bags of Ol'Roy.

6. Sarah Lynn

Sarah Lynn Boxer Booster

We feed our two Eukanuba Lamb & Rice Puppy formula. They do great on it and they poop less too! It's somewhat expensive though, $33-35 or so for a 40 lb bag. But we don't have real kids, so we spoil our two to death!

7. AntJan

AntJan Completely Boxer Crazy

We also feed our Nikki the Eukanuba Lamb & Rice. She does very well on this. If we give her anything other than Lamb & Rice, her stools are soft, she goes more often, and she gets very gassy! On Eukanuba, her stools are firm and she definitely goes less.

8. Sarah Lynn

Sarah Lynn Boxer Booster

Janet,

That's exactly what happens to our two if they are off the the Eukanuba Lamb & Rice! It's amazing how much LESS they have to poop when on this food!

9. Albie

Albie Completely Boxer Crazy

Lacy is on a super-premium kibble called Pinnacle. She weighs 47 pounds, and eats about 2 cups of kibble a day, plus a few spoonfuls of Wellness canned. I think a 30 pound bag costs $32.99. But, it's true, you do feed a lot less of the super-premium brands than grocery store brands. Have you every looked into Nutro. I always see sales at Petsmart and Petco on Nutro. We've never used it, but a lot of people really like it. My mother fed Authority from Petsmart for years and had good results and it was reasonably priced. My brother feeds his lab Iams lamb & rice and wouldn't switch for anything. I think it sometimes take a while to figure out what works for your dogs.

10. Ram&LexisMom

Ram&LexisMom Guest

I have had plenty of problems with Lexus and her loose stool. She was on Nutro Natural from the time she was a pup. Then we tryed Eukanuba, nothing worked. We just made a switch to Flint River Rock. I get it delivered to my door every 2 weeks and they just take the money out of my checking account, this way I dont have to worry about it. It's great, oven baked, VERY good for them, not too expesive and Lexus (who is picky) eats it up! Her mouth actually waters as I fill up her bowl. It's great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.