1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to feed a dog with colitis

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Austin's Mom, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

You can always join a dog nutrition group on yahoo to help you out some. I am a member of one that is really good. You could also contact a canine nutritionist to get you started in your area to learn the basics. But as long as you're giving variety (I would personally include some veggies and not just chicken and rice but that's me) and covering your calcium/phos. with either mashing the bones OR adding bone meal I think you'll be fine with doing home cooked.

Some people (like me) just can't do homecooked hence the reason for my above comment.

2. buffylvangel

buffylvangel Boxer Booster

Why not try adding some chicken to the kibble for a little while? You can gradually reduce the amount of chicken over a few days. You can even put chicken on top of the kibble forever.

3. bayleighmom

bayleighmom Boxer Insane

I homecook and also add vitamins. I first tried giving her an adult multivitamin but she would flick that out of her bowl every time. I ended up buying doggie vitamins and give those twice a day along with the rest of her meds.

I am thinking about trying the adult vitamins again. She may take them now that she eats EVERYTHING in sight!

4. Austin's Mom

Austin's Mom Boxer Insane

Well as with any other vitamins I've given Austin in the past this one upsets his tummy, too. So for his dinner I mix the kibble with the chicken and pasta/potatoes and broth and he eats it right up! No tummy issues, either!

5. bucksteemom2

bucksteemom2 Boxer Insane

My Steeler has colitis and pancreatitis and eats Natural Balance Sweet Potatoe and Fish. He gets no other food or treats because his system is way to sensative. This is the first food he can keep down or not have diahrea with, thank goodness!!!!! Good luck I hope you find a balance that will work for your baby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.