1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to feed a dog with colitis

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Austin's Mom, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bayleighmom

bayleighmom Boxer Insane

Do you have a crockpot/slow cooker? You could put your chicken in along with quartered potatoes and add some water and cook overnight. Then just shred the meat with a fork in the morning.

Is colitis a side effect of the pred? Bayleigh is on pred and I am hoping it's not a side effect.

I hope you find something that agrees with Austin's tummy.

2. Austin's Mom

Austin's Mom Boxer Insane

No, I don't have a crock pot. I just boil the chicken then put it in the food processor and chop it up then mix the rice and chicken broth and heat it up in the microwave before I give it to him. In fact I just boiled some potatoes to give him for a change instead of the rice.

Austin didn't get the colitis until AFTER he finished the pred. He had a lot more gas on it, but no poop issues. I know someone who has had two boxers get it after finishing pred. Doesn't mean it will happen to Bayleigh, but if it does that could be the reason.

3. sarah_bailey

sarah_bailey Super Boxer

Hi,

Bailey has colitus, and does great on 'james wellbeloved' food. We've been feeding him this for over a year now and he's improved so much that we can also feed him treats now.

It seems like his stomach has calmed down a bit, we can give him bits of our sunday dinner and some other meals too (aslong as it's all freshly cooked healthy food!).

Hopefully it'll get better for you too - I remember how bad he was when he was a pup but chicken and rice / potatoes was a good way to go and how we started out.

4. Austin's Mom

Well the potatoes seem to be working better than the rice. Austin had a nice formed poop this morning! Hopefully it stays that way!

5. bayleighmom

bayleighmom Boxer Insane

Yeah!! I am glad you found something. He probably loves the homecooked too. He may never want to go back to kibble!

6. Austin's Mom

He's too spoiled now to even LOOK at kibble!

7. buffylvangel

buffylvangel Boxer Booster

Grain Free

There are plenty of grain free mixers out there if you want to make sure the diet is nutritionally sound. Try Urban Wolf.

I agree, don't use rice... use potatoes for your carbohydrate source.

8. Austin's Mom

OK so I went out today and bought a bag of Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato. Brought it home and Austin's nose was all over the bag. Opened it up and put a few in my hand, he sniffed it, licked it and turned his head. So then I put a little bit in his bowl. Same thing. Looked at it and walked away. He went and laid down on my bed looking all insulted. Like how DARE I try to give him DOG food! The snot wouldn't even LOOK at me! I'm just concerned about him getting all the vitamins and things he needs that he may not be getting from chicken and potatoes. I'm convinced even more now that my dog is a SNOB!!

9. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

If you need to go back to kibble, put it down, leave it down for 20 minutes if he eats fine if not pick it up and put it down 12 hours later same thing for 20 minutes, and just keep doing this. I promise he WILL eat, he will not voluntarily starve himself.

10. Austin's Mom

I don't NEED to go back to kibble, I'm just concered about the vitamins and all, I don't mind cooking for my baby! I was only gonna give him the kibble for dinner and the chicken and pots for brekky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.