1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to feed a dog with colitis

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Austin's Mom, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Austin's Mom

Austin's Mom Boxer Insane

Thanks to four months of prednisone Austin now has colitis. He hasn't vomitted since last week, but is still having runny poops. He's been on chicken and rice for about 10 days now. I can't feed him canned food because it doesn't agree with him, and he won't go near his kibble anymore, even if I try to mix a little with his c&r. I'm also giving him pepcid. So my question is can I boil up some potatoes and mix that in, too? I worry because he's not eating dog food that he's not getting everything he needs. I'm at a loss here!

2. Kaybie's Mom

Kaybie's Mom Boxer Insane

I haven't done the research but I've read in many other posts that a raw diet is very good for a dog with colitis. Might want to try that......sorry to hear about Austin not feeling well.

3. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

If you're ever able to get him back on kibble Natural Balance's Lamb Meal and Brown Rice works fabulous for my dog with colitis.

Also if he's still got the runs after 10 days, I would fast him for 24 hours if you have not done so and then start back up with the chicken and rice and see if that helps.

Good luck!

4. Austin's Mom

Thanks! Can I get that at Petsmart?

5. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

You might try chicken (or some other meat) and potato or sweet potato, rather than chicken/rice. Grains are generally quite difficult for colitis sufferers, even whole, homemade ones.

Given that he's had cancer in the past though, I wouldn't go crazy with the amount of carbohydrates (either grain or potato) in his diet. Cancers feed on carbs, which is why diets recommended for people (and dogs) who've had cancer are generally very low in carb content.

6. BxrMommieNAZ

No. But PetCo sells it which is where I get mine.

7. Austin's Mom

Thanks for the info. I'm going to pick up some of that food, but in the mean time I'll switch to potatoes. Just boil them and cut them up? I also noticed that he's not pooping as much as when he was on kibble. Is that because of what he's eating? What about cottage cheese? Sorry for being a pain, but I feel like no matter what I do it's not the right thing. I'm not even sure if I'm feeding him too much or too little. Oye!

8. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

With the potatoes, or sweet potatoes, all they need is boiling and either cutting up or mashing (depending on how much he likes them, you might mash them up with the meat).

I wouldn't worry about him not pooping as much. That is a general feature of homecooking, and even more so with raw feeding. Dogs poop so much on kibble because it contains a load of indigestible matter - nowhere else for it to go but out the back end as waste. Better quality food is more digestible, and more nutritious. Stands to reason that there is less waste produced ;)

9. Austin's Mom

Thank you for putting my mind as ease about the pooping! As long as I know it's normal it's all good!

10. BxrMommieNAZ

I fed my cancer dog cottage cheese when he was so sick. I blended it up so it was a puree, he loved it. As long as your dog isn't lactose intollerant it should be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.