1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do??

Discussion in 'Boxers & Children' started by dixiesdad, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiesdad

dixiesdad Boxer Buddy

Well I just found my last thread I wrote last year praising my Dog's behavior around my daughter. Well things have taken a definite turn for the worst this week. Dixie bit my 20 month old daughter in the face. I am now faced with a major decision. My parental instincts say to get rid of Dixie because I can not trust her. I even tried to reintroduce them this morning and Dixie lunged for her face again. I am not happy at all with this situation and in my mind people come before pets. I am pretty sure it is severe jealousy. My wife and I have tried everything to give the dog attention but it still tears up the baby's clothes, toys, and pees on my daughter's things. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

2. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

Personally if I were you I would get with a behaviorist who can come in assess and work with you 1-on-1 with the problem. It is more than likely a fixible issue, but I would get professional help via somene that is there and can physically see what is going on, body language, etc.

Good luck!

3. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

I agree you need an expert. Not just a trainer but a behaviorist. Take some time to find a good one who uses positive methods. There is an aggression sticky at the top of the behavior section that discusses how to find a good behaviorist. Most likely with a little bit of structure you will over come this issue. But you need a professional to tell you what the problem is. For now I would start with NILIF training (search the training board for an explanation). Sometimes something as simple as NILIF puts everything in perspective for the dog. Good luck!

4. djheitz

djheitz Boxer Insane

I think it goes without saying to keep the dog away from the child until you can work this out. I absolutely understand your fear, but you won't be doing the dog any favors by sending Dixie off to someone else (other than a behaviorist) without at least trying to fix this.
    Good luck - keep us posted.

5. Darien'sDad

Darien'sDad Boxer Booster

First of all.............I hope your daughter is alright.

From a parent's point of view I share your worry. I am of the same mind that people come first. But I also love my dogs. By all means find a behaviorist and try to help your boxer girl through this. But I am sad to say that if it were one of my 3 children I would be prepared to go about finding a loving responsible person with no children that I could entrust my pet to. It isn't a matter of "giving up" on a dog. It is a matter of being a responsible person and making a VERY tough decision based on your duties as a parent. Our first responsibility in this situation is ALWAYS to keep our children safe.

I hope you get this sorted out and manage to find out why your girl has developed this issue. You are in my prayers.

6. dixiesdad

dixiesdad Boxer Buddy

Well seeing as Dixie has already tapped my wallet to the max a behavioralist is not in the budget. We are going to meet a family that knows Dixie and my take her where she can run with other dogs and their children are older. I will be sad but watching my daughter panic everytime the dog walks up to the baby gate is enough to help me remember my priorities.

7. ELubas

ELubas Boxer Insane

I would be very careful placing this dog with any children until she has been evaluated by a pro. Bites in the face are serious business. Hope your little girl is ok

8. djheitz

djheitz Boxer Insane

Just checking in to see how things are going.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.