What to do the first minute/hour pup comes home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Des11

Boxer Booster
Hi All

My puppy comes home on Saturday and I have, and been had everything set up for him. Two crates ( a day location and an evening one in my bedroom). All that comes with a puppy, I have it, down to his food and doggy training treats an chew bones. I just need to go purchase those bells we were talking about in the house training thread.

What do I do when he first comes in. I assumed that I should intro him to his new home by letting him walk around and smell everything. And than after that with some outside potty breaks in between, than introduce him to both of his crates.

I have a whole front room for him gated off with his crate inside.
This room will also have puppy pads too.

He starts puppy smart classs on the 15th. A week after his 10 week shots.

elephant

Boxer Booster
When he first comes home

I jus got my boxer puppy on Friday and what we did was just take him home and let him get a feel of the environment. We invited people to come over and see him but we just wanted to let him relax and not over stimulate him with a bunch of activities. Later that night we took him 24hour animal hospital to make sure he was okay,just becuase he had to fly. My advice is summed up to just let him get a feel for the house and maybe the neigborhood.

Alisha Mobley

Boxer Insane
Each time we brought home a new baby we just let them roam. Kept the kids from holding him/her but allowed them to sit on the floor and pet the pup if it came to them.

I didn't want to over do it the first few days so kept everything as calm as possible. You have to keep in mind that they most likely haven't been away from their litter or mom since birth. Just being away from them is a huge change. Thrown into a whole new environment added to that is very stressful.

I like to allow the pup time to get comfortable w/ the home and us before having other strangers over. Introduce them to as little as possible at first then slowly build up. If the breeder did a good job at socializing and introducing the litter to everything they could think of the change of homes and meeting new people shouldn't be all that hard. Within a few hours ours were running around sniffing and exploring everything, wanting to climb on everyone and playing w/ all the toys.

Just keep a close eye on the pup when not crated, stick w/ the crate training, let it out frequently for potty breaks and everything should go smoothly.:)

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!:D

Scorpio

Boxer Insane
Sounds like you have everything down pat! I would give him time to become accustomed to his new home in peace and quiet. Hectic movements and loud noise may intimidate him. I also wouldn't show him off to friends and relatives until he gets settled in.

elephant

Boxer Booster
I wish I had posted this reply

Scorpio and Alisha have great advice . Even though only two people came over to see Ptolemy maybe even that was too much for him and I didnt realize, now I feel like a bad mommy. I just couldnt wait to show him off and I am sure you will feel the same way but take their advice and wait until he is settled. Excellent advice...;)

trudy

Completely Boxer Crazy
I agree that sounds like you are ready!!

Just try to keep things mellow and let your puppy roam around and sniff and just become accustomed to where he is, I wouldn't try to introduce him to too many sights and sounds the first day you have him home, socialization is key however don't try to introduce too many things the first day including all those people who are going to be lined up to see your cutie baby!!

Status
Not open for further replies.