1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to Do About Nipping My Daughter?

Discussion in 'Boxers & Children' started by xenaprincess, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xenaprincess

xenaprincess Boxer Insane

Well Spirit is just over 3 months now and is progressing wonderfully...we love him to death!:D However, being he is still very much a puppy, he is nipping during play...ALOT...with my 3 yr old daughter! It's not too bad with the rest of us because we know to ignore him...stand still...walk away, etc. My daughter loves to lay on the floor, play on the floor. Spirit sees this as play time and nips her face, hair, clothes, etc. We have tried to explain to our daughter that he is just a puppy and therefore thinks that by being on the floor with him at his level, she is just like another puppy to him! She too is only very young and does not get that she cannot lay on the floor to watch TV or play a game without being ambushed by Spirit.
    My question is really how to handle this with Spirit. I do not like to put him in his crate for punishment becasue he is still so young, so right now it's all about getting to them quick enough to stop the nipping! My daughter can make him sit when she tells him too (we actively involve everybody in the training), so I am wondering if she should be the one to get him into sit position as soon as he starts nipping. The only problem would be that she is usually freaking out because she is getting hurt, and she insists we put him into his crate! She is sporting about 4 fresh cuts on her face and neck and ear, and 3 more on her feet!:(
    This is new to me because my youngest boy was 5 when we got Xena, so we did not have this type of problem with her. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!:)

Sharon:)

2. Krikkit

Krikkit Boxer Insane

Hi Sharon, just moved this to the Boxers & Children forum, where hopefully you will get replies from other Boxer people with toddlers :)

Is there a point when you can tell Spirit will get the sillies with your daughter, or is it hard to judge at this stage?

Here is a similar type threads - probably not that much use to you as you are an experienced Boxer and Human parent (and doing great), but it may give you a couple of ideas :)

http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47774

A really great video is 'Biting' by Ian Dunbar - he is really into getting dogs and children living together happily, and teaching dogs bite inhibition. Video details are at: http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DTB592

Sharon

3. xenaprincess

xenaprincess Boxer Insane

Thanks Sharon!:) Reading that thread actually helps me to understand how I actually have 2 very young puppies/children who are very similar in behaviour and who both require training!:D I like the redirect - reward approach and will definately be working on that one. The videos look interesting too!
    I never had this problem with Xena because Xena is older and has been here longer than my daughter, so she's helped us in "raising" Jessica! ;)

Sharon
    Xena & Spirit :)

4. Krikkit

Krikkit Boxer Insane

Sweet Xena :) Boxers are just the best 'second' Moms! lovicon
    And I bet you would not trade this for anything :D What great friends and companions these two are going to be (or, double trouble for Mom as they both grow :LOL: - lots of adventures coming up no doubt).

Sharon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.