1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what signals guarding instinct

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by anglian, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

No, I get you. And I don't mind a little bit of what is commonly called "alert barking". That's the kind where I imagine the dog is saying "Hey! Hey! Somebody's here!" You shush the dog, check things out, determine that all is okay and it's over. That's fine and that alone probably would do a pretty good job of deterring potential thieves.

But there is also the kind of barking that sounds more like "Hey! Hey you! Get outta here. I don't like you here, hear me? Grrr, Go away, I mean it!" It's the kind of barking that is meant as a warning. That's the barking I don't want to see encouraged in a pet dog. The odds of the average person ever needing to rely on their dog to protect them from someone are slim in comparison to the number of times their dog is going to need to be friendly, sociable, and tolerant of strangers so I'd rather the dog believe that all people equal good fun and cookies. In the end it's safer for the dog.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. Kisaq

Kisaq Super Boxer

TysonCheeto:
    Signalling (alerting) is different from guarding or protection. A dog can use a bark as a signal, but have zero aggressive or protective instinct involved.
    :)

3. TysonCheeto

TysonCheeto Completely Boxer Crazy

Gotcha!!! Never really separated the two types of barking....makes sense, alert barking is all I really am looking for from her. That's a super point about needing them social far outweighs the number of times you would need them "protective" alert barking is definitely all I'm wanting out of her!!!

4. anglian

anglian Boxer Pal

when I said developing a healthy guarding instinct, I suppose signaling is what I ment, if anyone did ever come in our house I actually wouldnt want kaiser anywhere near, id hope that he would hide in his bed so no harm came to him,
    But what about this signalling, do they develop this as they get older as if kaiser I lying down chilling out amd the door knocks he wo t move a muscle, only on occasion does he show any interest of someone being at door.
    He is a well behaved and obedient dog and im pleased he is friendly to all, sometimes to friemdly lol and even though I do whatever it takes to protect him and keep him safe at all times id still like him to alert me if he hears something out of the ordinary.
    Thanks for your advice about the fear imprint phase.

5. Kisaq

Kisaq Super Boxer

Is he very vocal at all in other areas? Playing? "Talking" to you?

You could try putting "speak," on command if you can get him to bark at other times. My guy isn't very vocal at all. But we're getting more so (he's now two). He's barked at some things that he was startled by once or twice over the year I've had him. But nothing more.
    ... and he barks (woofs) in his sleep. Haha. And he loves to bark at one boxer friend of his (it's a play bark - but that's the only thing he ever consistently barks at). So if I were going to add a "speak" command to his repertoire, I'd start by working in a regular play date with that dog and see if I could "capture" his bark with a cue. And then I'd give him that cue and have him bark when ever I heard someone come to the door. Kind of like having him sit, every time someone comes to the door.

Or, to play more on their instincts to alert, when ever someone comes to the door, you could act like you are alerting HIM, and say a short quick "Who's there!" Just like you are barking. And if you get any noise out of him at all - a reward! Then back to friendly greetings again and cookies from the stranger at the door.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.