1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of food?

Discussion in 'Puppy Feeding' started by BADWHISKEY, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BADWHISKEY

BADWHISKEY Boxer Booster

I have been feeding whiskey purina puppy chow ever since i got him. His breeder was giving him this so i decided to continue giving him this. This was the same case with gisele. I now changed whiskey to purina beneful healthy growth for puppies and he is doing great, no lose stools or any other bad signs. My question is... Is this good puppy food or is there better food i can be feeding my pups. I actually took them in today vor some blood work and the test came back great. They are healthy and growing on a good steady pace. What do you all recommend or should i stick with this brand. Also, i want to make some healthy home made treats so if any of you all have any good recipes and want to share, i would greatly appreciate it, thanks in advance!

-robert

2. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

No!. Purina anything is the bottom of the bottom and one of the worst foods on the market, Purina, Iams, Eukanuba, Pedigree, Dog Chow, they're all awful.

Check out Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble and you want to choose a 4, 5, or 6 star food (Purina I believe is a 1 star). It's basically the equivilent of you eating McDonald's all day everyday for your entire life...then ask yourself how healthy would you be doing that. Many of us on here with healthy dogs feed Taste of the Wild, it's a great food, isn't terribly expensive, is usually easy to find, dogs seem to enjoy it, and it's all life stages (so you can feed from puppy to senior). Personally I feed the Pacific Stream version.

A good rule of thumb is if you can find it in a supermarket, discount store (ie Walmart, Target, etc), and unfortunately many chain pet stores then it's probably a crummy food (PetCo does carry Natural balance, Solid Gold, and a couple of other healthy options, and PetSmart carries Blue Buffalo but that's about it).

I'd definitely switch them both ASAP. Just make sure you slowly switch over a 7-10 day period.

IMO the healthiest treats you can do at this age is either SMALL pieces of boiled chicken, pieces of their actual food, or some small pieces of liver. If you have a Costco in your area and have a membership they sell a great chicken jerky at a reasonable price. Best treats are going to be MEAT, but IMO at this age they should be eating their regular meals and getting small tasty treats (like boiled chicken) for training only. JMHO.

Good luck!

3. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Poor nutrition isn't going to immediately result in health issues; it's something that will come very gradually over time. Bloodwork is not going to "catch" general poor health and it's also very unlikely to be apparent in young puppies. Rather, the longer you feed a poor quality food, the more the dog's health will suffer in the end.

A boxer belonging to a friend of ours is, unfortunately, a very good example of this. She (the boxer -- who is actually Caney's "half sister") is a year younger than Caney and has been fed Beneful and Pedigree all her life. At age 2 she already had the most horrible breath (likely due to all of the grains and sugars in those foods that are rotting her teeth at such rapid speed) and her coat is very coarse and prickly-feeling. Her muscle-tone is lacking. She is extremely hyper and high-strung (probably a lot due to lack of exercise, but diets high in carbohydrates contribute to behavior also -- much the same as sugar can influence behavior in human children). Her poop is HUGE, often mushy, and bright orange due to all the artificial coloring in the kibble she eats.

Now many pet owners might not think much of these things, and it's especially hard to see when it's your own dog and all these things have come very gradually over the course of several years. Until comparing the dog side by side to another dog who eats quality food and is in good health, you probably wouldn't be able to pick it out. When Caney and the other boxer get together, it's very apparent who is in better health. Caney has an incredibly soft and shiny coat, good muscle tone, and a pretty even temperament. Her breath does not smell at all and her teeth are pearly white. Her stools are dark, hard, and half the size of the other boxer's (even though Caney is a bigger dog, outweighing the other boxer by 10-15 lbs).

I'll also add that, before this boxer, our friend had another boxer who passed away a few years ago at the age of 12. Yes she lived a long life for a boxer, but I cannot say that her last several years were good. Like the current boxer, she was also fed Beneful her entire life, and was always very skinny, somewhat high-strung but not energetic in her later years, with a dull, coarse, brittle coat and awful smelling breath. By the time she was 8 years old, her teeth were so bad (from eating carb-heavy foods) that she could no longer chew her kibble because it was painful for her. The kibble had to be softened with water just so that she could eat.

I wish I could convince our friend that the food he's feeding his dogs is contributing to their health problems, but he just doesn't see it. Either that or the price is just too "good" for him to care. :( In my opinion, a few extra GOOD years with my dogs is well worth the extra money I put into their food.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=70&cat=7
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1840&cat=all

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  4. BADWHISKEY

BADWHISKEY Boxer Booster

Thanks for the replies. I also tought about buying food from retail stores. If they sell it, it probably isn't as good. I was looking into totw but wasn;t sure. Now that you confirm it's a good quality food, i'll make sure to change to this food. The good thing is they're still young and and in time to get rid of this bad food! Thanks for the replies, it's very helpful to know this.

-robert

5. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

The other great thing about high quality foods like Taste Of The Wild is, you don't have to feed as much :) So if you're feeding your dog, say, 3 cups per day of Purina, you'd only need to feed 2 to 2.5 cups per day of TOTW. So the same amount of food will last longer.

6. BADWHISKEY

BADWHISKEY Boxer Booster

Thats a plus! I was looking into where they sell this food near my area and it's actually in a town like 45 min away, but worth the health of my pups! Also i wanted to ask, does totw make puppy food or is it just for any dog? Or witch formula do you recommend for a 4 month and three month pup? I really appreciate your help! Thanks!

-robert

7. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

I get TOTW at Tractor Supply near me. On my first bag I even got $5 off, just for registering online at their website (it's a printable coupon). TOTW doesn't have any puppy formulas, just 4 All Life Stages foods to choose from (suitable for puppies and adults) -- those formulas are High Prairie, Pacific Stream, Sierra Mountains and Wetlands. The High Prairie and Wetlands formulas are the highest in fat and protein, so overfeeding is more likely to result in diarrhea (meaning you should feed even slightly less of these formulas). Caney has been doing very well on the High Prairie; we have yet to try another formula but probably will do something different for our next bag.

It is totally up to you what formula to try first. Just remember to switch them VERY gradually over the course of about 10 days, and if you start to see loose stools you may need to slow down the transition, or reduce their portions a little.

Taste of the Wild : Products

8. BADWHISKEY

BADWHISKEY Boxer Booster

So should i mix it with the one i've been giving and little by little take it out completely?

9. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Exactly :) Start out by taking away about 1/4 of the total amount of Purina you're feeding, and replace that with TOTW. Keep them on that for 2-3 days straight and keep an eye on their stools to make sure they are firm. If they are having soft stools, reduce the total amount of food just slightly. If after 2-3 days they are doing fine and having no tummy upset, move to 1/2 Purina and 1/2 TOTW. Again, monitor their stools and if they are loose, slightly reduce the total amount in their bowl. Once they've been eating that mixture for at least 2-3 days, as long as stools are firm you can then change the mixture again, to 1/4 Purina and 3/4 TOTW. Just like before just keep an eye out for digestive issues, and after a few more days if all is well switch to 100% TOTW.

10. BADWHISKEY

BADWHISKEY Boxer Booster

Got it, so yesterday after work i went and bought totw. I fed it to whiskey last night and this morning just like you said and so far so good. He actually seems to love it. He eats his bowl pretty fast. His stool last night and this morning seem fine aswell, hopefully this keeps on. Same thing with gisele, the only diff. Is i gave her slightly a little less because she is a small girl and for some reason i picture her to small for a change. However she is doing great too. I'm happy i caught this on time! Thanks for all the help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.