What kind of flooring works best for boxers

Status
Not open for further replies.

leenasmom

Boxer Insane
I have just ordered a nail grinder and nail caps. Has anyone used these (nail caps) and do they stay on? If they do stay on they will keep floors, bodies, walls, door, ect. from being scratched up.

E

Eddie's mom

Re: Pergo warning

Originally posted by Lisa M

the warrenty is for wear and tear - but if there is a leak or spill that doesn't get wiped up right away the floor will be ruined. :p

Just wondering where you were going to purchase the Pergo from? Our warranty is not through "pergo", it is through Home Depot. I have a full warranty, scratches, wear and tear, stains and water damage. Life Time.

Ceramic Tile would probably be a great option for durability. I can't use it because I worry about the kids. I have a home daycare, and many times each day a child falls on the floor! They land anywhere from their butts to their heads! Even one on her face once :eek: My clutzy daughter falls right off the kitchen chair regularly!!! LOL

If it wasn't for the kids I may have considered the ceramic, maybe, I got a great price on the pergo.

Albie

Completely Boxer Crazy
Pergo Noise Reduction

My neighbor checked with her husband and the extra noise reduction was called the Pergo Silent Step Underlayment. I know we used some type of foam under our Pergo, but it wasn't this. I went to www.pergo.com and did a search on "silent step" and found some info on it. We are pretty much used to the noise of our Pergo now, it was just at first it had a different type of sound.

WAT

Boxer Insane
I have ceramic tile in my house, pretty much through out the whole house, minus the bedrooms and it holds up great. I find that it does not crack that easy, in fact most things dropped on it break first. I have lived in my house for 9 years and only thing that has really cracked was the glass pitcher of red gatorade (what a mess!) and a couple of beer bottles partyicon beericon!! Seriously look in to the tile; it is easy to clean, just sweep and mop, good as new!!

Wendy

Mommy to Minx

thanks for all the feedback

Wow! I never thought I'd get such feedback. I was leaning towards ceramic tile until I read all the laminate responses. The standing water might be an issue, though. Keller is a soda addict and will open any soda bottle he can get his paws on! He opens the bottles by holding the cap and spinning the bottle! So I have soda tracks all over my carpet. We have parquet in the foyer, and it seems to be holding up okay, but the dogs don't really go in there too much. I'd love to parquet the whole place, but I'm afraid it won't hold up.
What do you all think would be less slippery; laminate, polyurethane wood or tile? I hadn't thought about the floor being slippery. With Keller being blind, I don't want to give him any more challenges getting around the house.

Lisa M

Completely Boxer Crazy
Re: Re: Pergo warning

Originally posted by Eddie's mom

Just wondering where you were going to purchase the Pergo from? Our warranty is not through "pergo", it is through Home Depot. I have a full warranty, scratches, wear and tear, stains and water damage. Life Time.

Ceramic Tile would probably be a great option for durability. I can't use it because I worry about the kids. I have a home daycare, and many times each day a child falls on the floor! They land anywhere from their butts to their heads! Even one on her face once :eek: My clutzy daughter falls right off the kitchen chair regularly!!! LOL

If it wasn't for the kids I may have considered the ceramic, maybe, I got a great price on the pergo.

It was at home depot that we looked, this was about two and a half years ago in the design phase, I seem to recall the warrenty covering "normal wear and tear" with a warning about standing water but perhaps it has changed. I'd still prefer not to have the problem, even if it is covered by them, having one or two broken tiles replaced at my expense seems easier, faster and cleaner.

I'm an appraiser and I've seen what happens to composite material from insurance claims when there is water damage, it swells and expands making a huge mess and down here we can get mold and mildew in water damaged areas very fast.

We have no skin kids to worry about so that makes the scales tip differently. :)

Deb

Boxer Buddy
Hey Keller,
We have Pergo in our kitchen and Bree has a heck of a time trying to keep her footing, especially if she's playing with a ball. We try not to let her take her toys into the area. Even the cats, if they're having a chase can't hold themselves up and end up sliding butt first into the cabinets. :LOL:
Personally, I love the wood, but it can be slippery too.
For safety's sake, I think I would go with a tile or linoleum. They have some great wood patterns in a linoleum, if it's the wood look you're after. (See Mannington.com)
Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Deb

Boxer Buddy
Mike,
Linoleum is a standard in kitchens. My only problem with it is if it gets damaged, how to repair it without having it look like it's been repaired. And you'd better get every cut perfect the first time-there's no room for error!
I just put down 12" square vinyl tiles (but on the diagonal) in my bathroom and I'm very impressed at how nice it looks. (And as a first timer, yes, I messed up at least 10 of them!) :rolleyes: If one gets damaged, you can replace it easily without disturbing the whole floor. I've even seen some larger (18") tiles in some nice patterns that would be quicker to lay.

Status
Not open for further replies.