1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you leave in the crate?

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by Slobberkiss, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slobberkiss

Slobberkiss Boxer Booster

Hello all

I would be interested what you normally leave with your babies in the crate while you are gone. I am dog sitting and dont have much experience with crates but want our visitor to be comfortable :)
    thanks

2. lmorey

lmorey Boxer Booster

I only leave rubber chew toys in the crate with Cash or June like Kongs or Nylabones. I'll stuff some treats in the Kong to give them something to do/keep them distracted while I'm gone. NO plush toys or bedding. You can find several horror stories on here about boxers eating their blankets or toys and having to have emergency surgery due to bowel obstruction. A water bottle would also be good.
    I'm surprised whoever you're sitting for didn't tell you what they usually have in their crate (says the OCD boxer mom :))

3. NateBazooka

NateBazooka Boxer Booster

Ideally I'd leave a meal's worth of food mixed/capped off with peanut butter and frozen in a kong or two (this is assuming he's going to be crated for more than just an hour or two), as well as some other rubber chew toys.

When he was little I'd leave a bed or a pillow in there with him, but he eventually tore them up, and I'm nervous about him tearing something like that apart and getting blockage, so these days it's just him and rubber chew toys/kongs.

I also generally leave the radio on.

4. Slobberkiss

Slobberkiss Boxer Booster

I have to say my friend probably didnt even think about it to tell me since its normal for her and I just totally forgot to ask.
    I was mainly wondering how it works with the water bowl. I leave water out for my girl although she really doesnt touch it during the day - too busy sleeping :)
    But in the crate I have heard different things if yes or no

5. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

I don't typically leave anything.

6. RockyCody

RockyCody Completely Boxer Crazy

I leave Rocky his blankey - he carries it everywhere. It has holes but has never been "eaten" in the past.

I also leave a water bowl, several kongs/rope toys, and then a kong treat ball filled with treats.

He saves the treats until we get home then takes his ball out of the crate and eats them like he is saying " yaya, no messes time for treats"

Have fun sitting!

7. NateBazooka

NateBazooka Boxer Booster

I do leave a water bowl in as well. He only occasionally knocks it over, but it's a heavy porcelain bowl so he has to really try to knock it over.

8. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

Oh I do leave water, I forgot about that because it's not IN the crate for us. I have a large critter bottle (like one you'd put in a hampster, rabbit, etc cage) that's a decent size so it attaches to the outside of the crate with the metal spikett that pokes through one of the slats on the crate and the dogs lick it to get water from it. This way nothing gets spilled or too much drank at one time to be followed by puking.

Other than this I do not typically leave anything in their crates.

9. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

Depends on how long they're going to be crated. My dogs have a crate pad and a couple blankets in their crate (neither of them are chewers). There's also a rubber chew toy in there but I don't think it ever gets chewed on lol. If they're going to be in there for a couple hours or more, then I'll freeze a Kong.

I don't leave water. Mainly because they're just never crated that long. But also because Juno is like a camel haha--she doesn't drink often, but when she does, she LOADS up and will drink the entire bowl. And I wouldn't want her to gulp down a whole bowl of water, and then be stuck in her crate if she needs to pee.

10. MayaDiane

MayaDiane Boxer Pal

I use two old bath rugs in Maya's crate for her to lay down on. The rubber is worn off the backs of the rugs so I don't worry about her chewing on the rubber. Usually I lay them down carpet side up, but she flips them over to lay on the back. They absorb a lot of liquid and you can just throw them in the wash when soiled. I just leave a nylabone or kong in there for her to chew on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.