1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I need for a new puppy??

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by sboricua, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sboricua

sboricua Boxer Buddy

Ok so we will be picking up Laila either Saturday and Monday and I want to know what all I need for her? I know we need a crate, toys, bed, leash, collar. Anything else?? We've never had a puppy so I feel kinda lost.

thanks!

2. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

You don't have food on your list! I am just kidding with you, but that would be something I would do. I would make a vet appointment just to have her checked out by someone you trust. Get you sleep now because she will keep you on your toes, and you'll need to get up for the 2:00 am potty breaks. (puppy bladders are small!) Get down on your floor and look around at puppy level. Look for dangers, like cords they can chew on, or a lost button they could choke on. Be thankful you're in FL. Having to take a pup out to potty when there is snow deeper than they are tall is no fun! That is all that comes to mind right now. Have fun and enjoy your new furbaby! Take a big deep breath of the new puppy smell for me!

3. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Looks like Pam has all bases covered,but the food issue is important ie; to feed what the breader is feeding and if your not happy with the brand and want to swich to do so slowly.
    Get a big sniff of the puppy smell for me too, and have fun with your little bundle of joy.

4. samsons

samsons Boxer Insane

dont forget " dogfoodanalysis.com" a dog kibble review board. you will want to pic at least a 4 star food , most members feed a 6. better the kibble , better the health of ur pup. you will be surprised at the foods you have always thought GREAT really are only a 1 or 2 star !

you will feed less of these foods so it actually ends up cheaper :) and you will save in vet bills also !!!

if you have an ?ns pls post them !! Also , congrats on ur new fur kid :) :)

5. sboricua

sboricua Boxer Buddy

Yes I remembered the food ;) the breeder feeds her IAMs puppy I believe. But will be switching her food. omg im going to have to wake up in the middle of the night like I have a new born??!! aww man, that I didnt know! I adopted Sarge when he was 3. Im good with small things off the floor and cords around. I have a one year old daughter! lol cool thanks! how often should I bathe her?

6. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

I would ask the breeder if you can take some of the food he's feeding with you so that you can transition her slowly over the next several days. Going to a new home away from mom and siblings is a pretty big shock, minimize that the best you can by feeding what she's used to until she gets settled in.

And yes, puppies are a lot like newborns ;) Luckily they grow up a lot faster! For the first several weeks though you will have to take her out to potty in the middle of the night. She may also cry during the night for a few days or as long as a couple of weeks. If you plan on crating her at night, DO NOT give in to her cries and let her sleep in the bed with you, unless you plan on making it a permanent arrangement!! I speak from experience! When we brought little Caney home we let her sleep in our bed for the first two nights, the third night we crated her. She howled and cried ALL night long, for about two weeks. Had we not spoiled her from the get-go, that adjustment period would have been much shorter!

You only need to bathe her as often as she needs it. I would suggest bathing her soon after she gets home (not necessarily the first day but within the first few days) if she smells like she needs it (puppies can get pretty dirty wrestling with their littermates in the puppy pen, they tend to have no issues about walking through their "messes," they can pee on each other, etc). I'd pick up a very gentle, soap-free puppy shampoo for her (Earthbath makes a tear-free puppy shampoo). After the initial bath, only bathe her as often as needed. Boxers are generally very clean and adults can easily go several months or longer without a bath and still be fine. As a puppy though she might get herself into some things that require washing off ;) :p

Can't wait to see pics!!! :)

7. dtmom

dtmom Boxer Buddy

I suggest Blue Buffalo, large breed puppy food. That is what we feed Tux and he is a growing boy. He is 6 months old this week.

8. Imamom

Imamom Boxer Booster

Don't forget to get your camera, we would love to see pics of your new baby!! The love will come very easily, the patience is a little harder but it's all so worth it. And the puppy breath is just so precious.... When we got Bodie he was 6 weeks old - we had no idea what we were in for, but there is a wealth of information in these forums. Best of luck to you, and enjoy every minute as puppyhood goes by so fast! Congrats!

9. sboricua

sboricua Boxer Buddy

Yes Im familar with Blue Buffalo. I was giving it to Sarge when we first got him but it didnt agree with him. I will def have my camera and video camera ready!!! I will be posting lots of pics!!! Thanks everyone!

10. MillysMom

MillysMom Boxer Booster

As far as toys, Milly loves her 'Cuz'. We have the little round guy with the feet and her chicken, she loves them and they hold up.

Food - Milly was on Eukanuba(spelling) when she was a puppy but we switched her to Orijen - its a grain free, and natural - expensive but it has been great to her and her delicate tummy

Shampoo - We used and still use Bobbi Panter Natural Puppy Shampoo, its made with milk, it leaves Milly so nice and soft, doesn't dry her out and she smells like a cupcake when she is all done. We bathe her after she is in the lake for a couple days - she will get itchy. Outside of that maybe every other month if that, she smells like a flower most of the time, probably from cuddling up next to me -

Baby Wipes - We have these by the patio door to wipe salt off her pays if she gets into it in the winter or mudd in spring.

Cuddles and Smootches - saturate your new puppy with them. They are serious lovers and just want to be by you and loved. Milly since little on has loved her cuddle time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.