1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

West Nile Virus Hits Close To Home!!

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by Kazz's Boxers, Aug 9, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazz's Boxers

Kazz's Boxers Super Boxer

Hi everyone, as most of you know I live in NE pa, and about 1 hour and 15 from Binghamton NY. Last night on the news a bird was found up there and it had the deadly diease. I am terrifyed to let Bandit out of the house. I myself am afraid of going outside in the late afternoon, and with all the rain that we have had, it is making the misquito (sp) population worse.

Is there any kind of doggie bug spray i can buy to protect Bandit and what kind of human bug spray can I use?

I am afraid that if this makes its way into NE pa (which i am sure that it will) that i am not going to be able to protect my baby!!

I also wanted to make everyone aware of what is going on. If you go to www.wnep.com you can find info on the whereabouts of the virus.

I have tried Skin so soft and Bandit is allergic to it!

Thank-you all for listening to me.

Melanie
    a very scared boxer owner right now

------------------
    Melanie
    Bandit's Mom
    Male, Fawn, Black Mask, White toes & white spot on Chest, Neutered, Floppy ears, Docked Tail, born 11/01/99
    www.KazzsWhiseyBandit.homestead.com/homepage.html

[This message has been edited by Bandit's Mom (edited 08-09-2000).]

2. Amy Lyn

Amy Lyn Super Boxer

We have the virus right around here where I live and our backyard has tons of mosquito's. I get eaten alive. I don't think it effects dogs, but I could be mistaken. We are still worried about what they could find out later about the virus, but mosquito's are so rampid this time of year here that they are impossible to avoid. I just do the best I can to swoosh them off of Wagner when I see them as I don't know of any doggy bug spray on the market.

------------------
    Amy Lyn
    Wagner (Fawn, black mask) b: 04/25/00
    Clark (Fawn, black mask) b: 03-11-99 (Rainbow Bridge 05-06-00)

3. Coco's Mom

Coco's Mom Boxer Buddy

My trainor suggests Avon skin so soft.

------------------
    Barbara Mom To Coco-Flashy Fawn Female natural ears born 11-26-99
    Bosco- Choc.Lab born 6-19-96

4. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Boxer Pal

When I was looking for some bug repellent someone told me about this spray.I have not tried it so I have no Idea if it works. Good Luck
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=697

------------------
    Kira-born 2/4/00, female, plain fawn, cropped, docked, and about to be spayed.
    Rocko- big brother to Kira, black lab, adopted at 2 years old, nuetered, born 3/2/95

5. Brutus and Amaya's Mom

Brutus and Amaya's Mom Boxer Insane

Check with your vet. The flies seem to think Bru is tasty and when I called my vet they said they do stock a sunscreen/bug repellent. I didnt buy it so I dont know if it effective but you may want to look into it.

------------------
    Brutus & Amayas Mom
    Brutus 9/23/99 Flashy Fawn
    Amaya 3/22/00 Flashy Brindle

6. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

That bug spray at drfostersmith sounds interesting. It would certainly be worth a try, especially since it is non-toxic.

When I asked my vet what to use a couple of years ago, he suggested I could use whatever I used, like OFF, but to only put it where Markus couldn't lick at it, which rather limited the areas where you could put it.

------------------
    Jan
    Markus, dark brindle
    neutered male, 6 yrs old

7. JoAnn

JoAnn Super Boxer

I am so paranoid about Encephalitis that I quit taking my Boxers Samson and Athena for walks this summer. I use to take them up to the park which has a lake, and wouldn't you know it my 1 year old boy Samson became infected with Encephalitis. It was the saddest thing to see him go through this, the vet told me the survival rate was only 60%, my pup was in intensive care for a week, but after a couple of months he was back to his old self again. It is not a pretty virus, the vet told me he didn't get it from a mosquito bite, I disagree we got caught in three swarms on the last walk we went on before he became ill. Take the precautions folks, even if you have to give up walks, or be on bug patrol when they are outside. I would not wish this on any dog or human being.

8. Kazz's Boxers

Kazz's Boxers Super Boxer

I am going to call my vet today and see what he says about bug spray, i don't want to put anything on Bandit without his opinion.

If anyone has some other suggestions i would appricitate them. I am not about to risk my dog's life or mine for the sake of a 2 mile walk a day.

I was also wondering if they made a doggie tredmile? Then again i could just see trying to get Bandit on it :D

melanie

------------------
    Melanie
    Bandit's Mom
    Male, Fawn, Black Mask, White toes & white spot on Chest, Neutered, Floppy ears, Docked Tail, born 11/01/99
    www.KazzsWhiseyBandit.homestead.com/homepage.html

9. JoAnn

JoAnn Super Boxer

You know I have seen dog shows and agility shows on TV where the people have actually had their Boxers on Treadmills, I too would like to see me trying to get Samson or Athena on one, I can't even get them on the scale at the vet's office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.