1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well, we did it - we added a Pug to our family...question

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by cama, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cama

cama Boxer Booster

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to pop in and let you all know that we've added a second dog - a Pug puppy to our family. After much consideration, we decided to add a Pug instead of a Boxer to our family. *I* really wanted a Boxer, but due to their size, the size of our home and the fact that my daughter was really wanting a "small" dog, we went with a Pug.

I had written a while back about being concerned with adding a second puppy because Ponza is so needy of attention. Overall, he has done really well, but he has growled at her a couple of times, and we are very careful to keep the food separate, etc. Typically, about how long will it take before he totally accepts that she is here to stay and what things can I do to aid their interaction? I've read plenty about this, but it's always good to hear from those who have been there, done that. I feel a little sorry for him now, but just know he will adore her in the end.

Thanks for any input!

2. Beau's Mommy

Beau's Mommy Boxer Insane

I litterally just had to let mine duke it out! Of course, I kept a watchful eye to make sure no one was seriously injured, but the more I intervened, the worse it got. When I just let them be to figure it all out on their own, they did just that, and now all is well! Good luck and congrats!

3. Net45582

Net45582 Banned

One thing is to give equal attention...and reinforce your Ponza is alpha over the pup right now. Feed Ponza first,give attention first...etc

4. ringwise

ringwise Boxer Buddy

Those are my two breeds. Honestly, in the long run, the Boxer has more to "fear" than the Pug. My poor Boxers always seem to have a Pug hanging off of their face, or attached to their hind leg.

The only advice I have is that Pug's eyes are VERY delicate, and a blow to the head could pop out an eye! They are also more prone to eye scratches because of the protruding eyes. But in all of the years that I've had both breeds, I've only had one Pug and one Boxer get a scratch. And no eye popping - thank goodness.

Pugs are pretty sturdy little guys, so once they're grown, they'll do fine. Just supervise them when the Pug is small.

These two breeds are sooooo much alike - you will be amazed.

Laurie

5. hanley

hanley Boxer Insane

Congrats on your pug! It will just take time for them to accept each other. Hanley

6. RoxysMum

RoxysMum Super Boxer

I envy you! We want to make our third a pug (or frenchie) for the same reasons. My 4 yr old dd is only 29 lbs so sheloves the boxers but can't really romp with them. They don't knock her over (they know better) but she ricochets off of them and falls down hard. Terribly funny to watch but she gets all miffed.

I'll have to afgree with the 'careful of the eyes' thing. It's just so gross when those suckers pop out and the tendon holding them in gets stretched out and they don't stay in as well after you have to pop them back in.

7. todell80

todell80 Completely Boxer Crazy

Congratulations on your new addition. I think Pugs are so cute. There is a lady at my work who is obsessed w/ him, and her desk is covered w/ every Pug thing you could think of. I love to go over and look at her cute stuff.

8. bucca

bucca Boxer Insane

good luck with your new pug. :)

9. elbykitty

elbykitty Super Boxer

I grew up with pugs and brussel griffons since my mother had a friend that breed them. We had 2 pugs and 1 griffon after they retired from show. Well with my experience I am going to say it won't be long before your pug will have run of the house. They are great dogs but ours were a bit bossy. Congratulations on you new addition.
    Elbykitty
    mom of Oscar and Lilly

10. cama

cama Boxer Booster

I can't thank you all enough!!

You have helped so much to alleviate my worries. I'm going to relax and let them interact. Just this morning, they were on the ground together and Ponza (the Boxer) started trying to play with her. I take that as a good sign. He'll just have to learn that she is so much smaller than he is. He's 90 # and she's only 3! I hope they will become the best of friends. I think they will.

Thank you all!
    Charlene
    with Ponza - fawn Boxer
    and Tiki - fawn Pug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.