Weekend Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kira

Boxer Buddy
Sharon has already heard my tale of woe....but here it goes........

My last subject posted here was about my girl's High in Trial a few weeks ago. After that trial, she needed a mere 1 more leg to finish her CD title which I had hoped to accomplish this past weekend.

This past weekend was a large 4 day outdoor trial here in Calgary. I understand there were 1100 dogs at the show (mainly conformation). We had 24 Novice A dogs.

The obedience rings were adjacent to the conformation rings and directly across from a row of busy trade booths. The weather was hot, .when it wasn't raining LOL!

There was a correction match on the Thursday night which I dilgently attended. My girl was good. She lagged a bit on an about turn by the ring gate but I popped her up and she came right back to me and worked well for the rest of the round.

I arrived Saturday morning confident that even if her round wasn't as pretty as her round for the HIT a few weeks ago, she'd at least get the last leg.

She was a bit off on her warm-up, looking around at all the hubub........but I finally got her up and playing with me and focusing on me before we went into the ring.

Her first exercise, Heel on Leash, was a bit haphazard due to the noise and commotion around us (including a bag of dog biscuits being emptied into a big tin right as we did an about turn) but she did a credible job with a 34 score (out of 40 points).

Her Stand for Exam was solid and she really played up well with me after that exercise.

On to the Heel Free........ she boinged into her READY position beside me.......those big beautiful brown eyes focused on me, exuding attention and readiness. The Judge said "Are you ready?". I replied "READY".

The Judge said "Forward", I said "TROT" and my lovely wee boxer girl tucked her little ass underneath her and scooted around the ring in the most gleeful Fruit Loop!

The Judge said HALT and I said "YOU get READY" and she leaped into position beside me and finished her exercise nicely.

The Judge said "Too bad. Once she got her head together it was a nice round but I can't qualify you".

Sigh.

So...........Sunday was a new day and I thought she would be fine.......she just needed to "settle in" a bit.

However, evidently she thought that if the Fruit Loop on her heel free was such a crowd pleaser on Saturday then an extended long play version of it on Sunday would bring the house down.........

I pulled her on Monday.

While the Alberta Boxer Club sponsored a booster for obedience complete with a lovely big trophy, ribbons and other prizes, there were only 2 boxers in the entire trial! I was very sorry to see that.

However, a wonderful boxer girl in Novice B qualified on the Saturday and got the trophy.

BXR MOM

Boxer Booster
I can't stop laughing at the site she must have made! I have watched many Boxers in the ring and you would think they were all part clown. My own girl never mastered healing off leash. She would usually take a few steps and then stop but her butt in the air and start to bark at me. Needless to say we never finished.

I am going to try to attempt obedience again with Lucy. We took a puppy class and are waiting to turn six months to start beginner. We will have to see what happens.

Good luck getting your last leg. I hope it comes soon!

------------------
Ann
Lexus - Six year old flashy fawn female, uncropped
Lucy - white female born 3/00, uncropped

Boxerworld

BW owner
Staff member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kira:
While the Alberta Boxer Club sponsored a booster for obedience complete with a lovely big trophy, ribbons and other prizes, there were only 2 boxers in the entire trial! I was very sorry to see that.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is sad there were only 2 boxers but do boxer clubs really help people who do obedience?
I hope you will have more luck next time!

Olly
PS: I was wondering if you have already seen a bulldog doing agility/obedience :)

Kira

Boxer Buddy
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Boxerworld:
It is sad there were only 2 boxers but do boxer clubs really help people who do obedience?
I hope you will have more luck next time!

Olly
PS: I was wondering if you have already seen a bulldog doing agility/obedience :)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The boxer clubs in our area are mainly focused on the conformation aspect.....however, I must say that we have our share of "boxer boosters" in the obedience trials in the area which is a nice touch.

There IS a bulldog in this area who does agility. I can't remember her name but I have seen her in the Specials class!

I have never seen a bulldog in obedience....hmmmmmm..........the book So Your Dog's Not Lassie has several ancedotes about training bulldogs! That is a challenge left to people with more patience than me!

Krikkit

Boxer Insane
A few years ago there was a bulldog here who competed in Agility :) She was one of the fastest dogs I have ever seen beleive it or not, but she did tend to crash and burn the course, I'm not sure if she ever actually qualified LOLOL. I loved watching her. She did obedience too but I never saw her in the ring in that.

Kira, I still think that you are in for a great Obedience Career :D :) :D Your girl has got that nescessary get up and go!

Kira

Boxer Buddy
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Krikkit:
A few years ago there was a bulldog here who competed in Agility :) She was one of the fastest dogs I have ever seen beleive it or not, but she did tend to crash and burn the course, I'm not sure if she ever actually qualified LOLOL. I loved watching her. She did obedience too but I never saw her in the ring in that.

Kira, I still think that you are in for a great Obedience Career :D :) :D Your girl has got that nescessary get up and go!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha Ha!!! Everything should work out find so long as she doesn't
get up and GO AWAY! Oh well, I must have faith in her........I'm registering her in the US so I can take her down to Montana in the fall and TRY/ATTEMPT for her American CD :).

Status
Not open for further replies.