1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water issues!!!!please help

Discussion in 'Puppy Feeding' started by BADWHISKEY, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BADWHISKEY

BADWHISKEY Boxer Booster

All past week until yesterday both whiskey and gisele had potty accidents. If it isn't one it's the other. However, i have been giving them a lot of water since it's been real hot here in deep texas, around 95 degrees. I don't take them out until the sun is almost setting but it's still hot and therefore i give them a free pass to as much water as they want. Is this right or should i meassure how much water intake they should get? Whiskey will eat anything you put in his bowl. He will also drink as much liquid you put in his bowl, no matter if it's one ounce to a whole gallon of water at a time. That's why i ask if the water should be meassured? Please help!! Thanks!

-robert

2. Gilbert

Gilbert Super Boxer

I live in San Antonio, TX so i know what your talking about as far as the heat and letting the dogs play outside.
    The first 2 weeks i was resticting Achilles' water cause just like your dog he would drink everything in the bowl no matter how much was in there, then seconds after he would puke it out. It was scary the first time i saw him do it while eating. But anyways i have since then STOPPED resticting his water cause i read here on BW that you shouldn't ever restict water during the day cause thats how they regulate their body temp. So after a couple days of free water access i noticed that Achilles didn't make such a big deal of me feeling his bowl up. Yes he still has to take a couple sips whenever i refil it, but he no longer stays there til its finished.

Hope this helps

3. BADWHISKEY

BADWHISKEY Boxer Booster

Did achiles ever have problems holding his pee from cause of to much water?

4. Gilbert

Gilbert Super Boxer

If i didn't take him out right after he drank all that water or if i took my eye off him, he would find a place to pee.

5. ehayes21

ehayes21 Boxer Insane

Barring any medical issue - You should never restrict water, they should have access to it at all times. Start making more trips outside. Regardless of the heat - potty trips can be short and sweet.

6. BostonGeorge

BostonGeorge Super Boxer

How long are you expecting them to hold it?? They are drinking more because of the warm temperatures and to cool themselves down. If you drink more...you need to pee more. Same with a dog.

7. ncwingnut

ncwingnut Boxer Booster

I would take them out more often. I know Libby can hold it all night in her crate, but when we are home with her and up and awake, she goes out every 2 hours or so, because she is drinking more. I used to live in Oklahoma, so I understand the heat, but even my malamute/timber wolf cross I had while we lived there needed to go out more often in the summer. He would run out, pee, and come straight back in.

8. BADWHISKEY

BADWHISKEY Boxer Booster

Ehayes21: The issue is not the heat...may be i didn't explain myself.

The issue is that they are drinking more water due to the heat, which i understand completely. My issue is, should i let them take a few gulps of water at a time or let them drink the whole gallon bowl at once? Usualy that's exactly what whiskey will do and therefore he has to pee more.

Bostongeorge: I read a thread that usualy a dog can hold his pee for an hour for every month old he is. Regardless if this is right or wrong, i always take them out 2 to 2-1/2 hr and three times at night. Obviously if there is more liquid going in, the more there will be going out.

My overall concern is, should i let them drink as much as they desire or maybe cut down a lil. I'm sure i can put the whole gallon bowl and they will drink it all at once, refill it right after, and they will finish that as well.

9. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

I would hesitate to restrict water. As far as the "hour per month" rule, that is really just a guideline. Some pups can go longer, some can't go that long. Taylor your potty schedules to your dog's needs -- if they are showing that they can't hold it long enough on their current schedule, simply take them out more often. Better to do everything in your power to prevent accidents now while they're young, and later on they will be able to go much longer between breaks.

10. prittiegirl

prittiegirl Super Boxer

I think that, like some of the other posters have mentioned, that if you put down a full huge bowl and leave it down, that they will adjust to it being there and will not drink through it over and over and over. I think they should be able to drink as much as they like and that they will balance their intake once they know they have unlimited water.

However, because they are currently drinking so much, it will impact their need to go out, and so therefore they should be going out more often if it's possible! I find with Kinnon that when she increases her water intake in the hotter weather that she needs some time to adjust her bladder control...

Good luck - I'm also having a puppy pee problem these days with extra fluid intake, so I feel your pain on the pee issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.