"Watch" your eyes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfhtlhii

Boxer Booster
Well I am sure there are a lot of you who can relate to affectioinate boxer pats in the face. Princess gave me one while I was laying on the floor with her and managed to get me right in the eye. Scratching my cornea into my iris. After 3 trips to the ER you could say it has been a really rough! I still can't see completely out of it and may need surgery to remove scar tissue. I completely know and understand that she was not trying to hurt me at all and until then I loved her little face pats. Now though, I am afraid she might get one of my boys in the eye. So, how do I discourage her from doing this without being mean or hurting her feelings?

Connie

Tulsa-Dan

Your Friendly Moderator
Easy solution. Don't put your face near a rambunctous puppy. I'm sorry you got hurt and hope you are ok.

As for the boys, teach them that when the dog starts to jump on them, to turn their backs on the dog and keep turning their backs on the dog until he stops jumping. Ignore bad behavior, reward good behavior. Also teach your boys the proper way to play with a puppy, not getting in their faces, not bothering them when they are sleeping or tired, etc., etc.

Good luck.

Aimee

Boxer Insane
Dusty does this as well and she comes to you to do it--it isn't encouraged by us. Like Dan said, we get up and walk away, turn away from her, etc. I do not make eye contact with her nor do I say anything to her. It's important not to acknowledge the behavior. After a few pats (scratches) she will finally go away and lay down. She doesn't do it as often now and I think if I continue to ignore this behavior, it will stop all together. Don't feel that this would be hurting her feelings--it's just teaching her good manners to ensure her happiness! Best of luck.

I learned this technique from the The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell. GREAT book. I highly recommend it (thanks Dan ;) ).

I certainly hope that you are feeling better soon!

cfhtlhii

Boxer Booster
Aimee,
I think you understand what I am talking about. Princess comes to us to do it to. It is always in a very gentle way it just happened that that time she got my eye. I will try ignoring her when she does it like Dan and you both suggested. I think I really need to get a copy of that book, I have heard it mentioned over and over!
Thanks again!

Connie

Aimee

Boxer Insane
Connie - I know exactly where you are coming from. But Dusty can paw quite roughly sometimes. She isn't playing with us when she does this, she is just sitting still and quietly pawing at us over and over again. This is because she is demanding attention at that point in time. She would even get up on the bed at night time or in the morning and do it. I learned that even if I said, Knock it off, I was acknowledging her, which is what she wanted. I've learned that ignoring her shows that that isn't the appropriate way to get my attention. When she is pawing at me and I ignore her, she goes to lay down now. She will paw harder and harder a few times in a desperate attempt to get my attention but I just ignore her. Once she is laying down, I wait a few minutes and call her to me. I praise her when she comes and treat. It is working well and it's also helped iron out some issues within our pack too! Do get the book if you can, it's great!

lexismum

Super Boxer
Lexi used to do the same thing. I always thought it was cute. I have since read the Dog Listener and now see it as her way of trying to dominate me - that is, get snuggles on her terms. I too have been turning away and ignoring her. She still does it occasionally but not half as often as before.

I'm very sorry to hear about your eye. I hope everything goes well.

I know what you are going through! One time when Oliver was younger. He jumped up on the couch and in an excited moment he hit me in the eye. It was on a Saturday and as I was a college student with no health insurance I decided to wait to go to the eye dr. on Monday AM. Well by Sunday morning my eye was swolen shut! On Monday I had to have my boyfriend (now married) drive me to the dr. When the Dr. examined me the protective covering was scratched completely off of my cornia and I like you had deep cuts into my iris. To top it off I had developed a nasty infection from puppy paw pad germs. It was a mess!! I had to wear a patch for a few weeks and a contact in one eye to keep the exposed nerves covered. I have a lot of scar tissue and if my eye gets too dry it feels like it is being scratched all over again. What a pain. Also I have to be careful...I was told that if I got another injury to that eye I could lose my sight....

What we go through for our babies. But I am now VERY careful of my face around both Oliver and Lucy.

Rachel;)

cfhtlhii

Boxer Booster
Rachel,

Thank you for sharing your story. Although I am sorry that someone else went thru this as it is no fun. I am glad to know I am not the only one that this had happened to. I am now also glad my hubby insisted on going to the hospital!

Connie

Status
Not open for further replies.