Wanna Know More about French Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrocky

Boxer Insane
Originally posted by conn

I would really like too..actually MyRocky you gave me a great idea in one of your posts...smushyfaceddogs.com ha ha:) I would like to develop both sites but am really unclear about copywriting etc... to reprint all the important info..I have to look into that aspect

ACK!!! I love it!!! How cute! That website would rock! :D

Tam319

Maybe conn knows the answer to this...why are Frenchies called 'Frog Dogs'? I have seen that all over the web, such as 'The Frog Dog Webring' and such. What!? They don't look froggy to me. Unless it is referring to how they lay with their hind legs??

Tam

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
why are Frenchies called 'Frog Dogs'?

Probably because of their real name *french* bulldog. Don't know about Nth America, but the rest of the world euphemistically refers to the French as "frogs"... has its origins (I imagine) in the french liking for frog legs... So - "frog dog" might not be that nice, but it makes perfect sense to me

myrocky

Boxer Insane
Its a slang Term Tam and not a very nice one. Its not something you want to go saying to someone ;)

Andie

Tam319

YIKES! That is not very nice at all! Why the heck would they call their dogs and their webring that???:o

Tam (lil miss niave)

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
:confused: who knows?? Perhaps its kinda become a term of endearment... or else they've decided to meet prejudice (or whatever you'd call it) head on

conn

Super Boxer
I asked the same question..apparently here is the answer:

"Frenchies are often called frogdogs because of their flying frog-like appearance when they are laying down on their stomachs with their hind legs kicked out behind them"

In my family we have always called it Y mode:)

Noone has actually said to me yet, oh is that a frogdog? so I don't really know if I would be offended but people have said, Oh he looks just like a little piggy..smashicon

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Originally posted by conn
"Frenchies are often called frogdogs because of their flying frog-like appearance when they are laying down on their stomachs with their hind legs kicked out behind them"

That's a much better reason - LOL, I guess they would look kind of like a frog like that.

Tam319

That is a much nicer explanation:) We often call our doggies 'frog legs' when they sprawl out on their bellies with their legs behind them. Is it more common with Frenchies?? Any decision as to if you are going to show Biggs yet??

I told my husband last night that we will someday have a little Frenchie (cream, fawn or pied I hope) and his name will be Mordecai. ha ha ha The verdict is still out if it will be Mort, Morty or Kai for short. heh heh heh (After the character Mordecai Green in Grisham's "The Street Lawyer") I thought it was the funniest/"big" name for such a small dog. I usually have the 'name' picked before the dog tho...Tony and Layla were picked long before the doggy came into existence.

I think a male is what we will plan on as if we intend to show/breed I am not really prepared for the whole c-section thing with the females. If we go the pet route than a little girlie would be ok, provided Queen Layla wouldn't be a little 'bitch' to her.

Tam

conn

Super Boxer
Is it more common with Frenchies??

ya know, i really havent seen that it is all that more common with Frenchies than any other breed.....I am guessing somewhere along the lines the name just stuck...

Mordecai hahaha what a great name!! at first glance I thought it was Malechi (sp?) from Children of the Corn...scary!!!!haha

When you get your Frenchie:):) I know males and females, Biggs is obviously very manley hehehehe but he has some female frenchie friends and the females from what I have seen are more hyper, more pushy dogs... as for showing, well we are still trying to get to our first obedience class!!! which was cancelled last week due to the %%&*(**&(^^#*$^^$ snow!!! However, I have someone helping this weekend (hopefully) to get some stacking pics so I guess that's a start!! I will post them once I have them:)
Queen Layla kicking her butt haha reminds me of a story a friend told me recently (they have a female frenchie) They were at the dogpark and Ashley (frenchie) runs up to a full grown boxer and starts barking/jumping/taunting him..well, the boxer had no idea what to do with this itsy bitsy thing barking at him so in true boxer spirit...he pinned her:) it was all in good fun (of course the frenchie owner was a little taken back) but no one was hurt and I just laughed when I heard the story, I could totally picture it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.