1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking is becoming a nightmare

Discussion in 'Behavioral Issues' started by Floydy, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floydy

Floydy Boxer Pal

Hi Everyone
    Haven't been on for a while.
    We are having this nightmare with our 14 month old beautiful red male huge strong boxer. When we walk him he has become a real pain not only to us but other people including children and is a right pest with other dogs. It is making walking an experience we are now dreading rather than enjoying. He lunges at people and children and basically scares them half to death (he is a big male) he is really very gentle and loving its just when we take him out. People have been quite angry when he's lunged at their child (understandably) my husband is very strong but sometimes cannot manage to hold him back. Other dogs old young small big he just jumps on them. I am afraid he will either hurt another dog or get bitten or even worse badly hurt

Please can anyone help

Thank you

2. Bathel

Bathel Super Boxer

Have you taken any obedience classes yet?

3. Floydy

Floydy Boxer Pal

No we haven't do you think this may help

Thanks for replying

Kay

4. sjtorr

sjtorr Boxer Booster

Absolutely obedience classes will help!
    Also investigate different harnesses. Many swear by the easy walk harness, as it makes it harder to walk the more they pull.
    The obedience class will not only train your dog, but more importantly train the owner. Learn how to use food or some other motivation as an appropriate distraction. They can usually give specific advice on lunging and jumping and you might want to consider getting a "personal trainer" for a few hours so you can correct situational behaviours.

Good luck!

5. Glasnevin

Glasnevin Boxer Booster

I think I learned more from the obedience classes than my dog! It was great fun too.

6. Floydy

Floydy Boxer Pal

Thanks so much for this looking into it

7. TyTysmom

TyTysmom Super Boxer

I STRONGLY suggest a Halti (gentle leader). Tyson used to do the same thing until we got a Halti. Now he walks like a perfect gentleman. He doesn't "love" the idea of wearing it but it really makes the walks more enjoyable for him and us!

8. Gunther

Gunther Super Boxer

9. Stellababe

Stellababe Boxer Buddy

Gunther had posted this for me as well... It does work and takes some patience. Stella is getting better at not pulling so much, and when she does, I stop and start and change direction to regain control over the walk. I may look like a crazy lady but who cares....this morning another walker with her dog commented on what I was doing....training. My reply was: we're trying. :0)

good luck and thanks again Gunther

10. Gunther

Gunther Super Boxer

Your welcome and thanks for the feed back. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.