1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vomiting after 1st shot

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by iDEEkay, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iDEEkay

iDEEkay Boxer Pal

I took Zeus and Xena in for their first shots. They received Distemper and Parvo only. They had a meal about 2 hours later and went to sleep. Upon waking up, they both went potty like normal and then Xena vomited a small amount of undigested food wich she quickly put back. Less than 5 minutes later she vomited a much larger amount of undigested food. I did not allow her to eat it. She did not vomit anymore and her next stool was firm and normal. She's drinking water on her own. Aside from the vomiting her behavior is normal. I'm not sure if it's a reaction to the shot or just too much activity in one day. Both were very nervous on the car ride to the vet and then the excitement of all the animals and people in the office which they are not accustomed to either. I'm trying not to be overly worried. I decided not to give the last meal of the day and just monitor them both until tomorrow. Zeus has not had any vomiting or other reaction that I can tell. Has anyone experienced this? If it's a reaction to the shot, should she not be vaccinated further or should I just consider this a mild side effect and continue with her schedule? I had only planned to give them two rounds of shots prior to the rabies vaccine.

2. harleyboxer

harleyboxer Super Boxer

Probably just a fluke, usually vomiting from a vaccine reaction would happen within an hour or so...

3. lmorey

lmorey Boxer Booster

Cash did this after his first round of puppy shots that we had to take him for - in the CAR on the way home! I called the vet immediately, and they had us bring him back to give him something to counter the shots just in case he was allergic. They told us prior to his next set of shots, to give him 1-2 Benadryl about 30 minutes before we left the house, and to bring him in early for them to administer the meds they gave him in case he was allergic. Turns out Cash just got car sick every time we went somewhere for a while, and it took him a while to get over it. I would call your vet to discuss just to be on the safe side!

4. iDEEkay

iDEEkay Boxer Pal

Thanks! She did not vomit anymore so it looks like it was a fluke. Perfect timing to fill my mind with worry! She's been doing fine ever since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.