1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vitamin C for dogs

Discussion in 'Holistic care' started by victore1123, Sep 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. victore1123

victore1123 Boxer Pal

I recently noticed that my youngest dog (Yoda) is limping/skipping a step on his left hind leg. Although he hasn't seemed to be in any pain I took him to the vet anyway. My vet didn't seem too concerned after observing him walk and after manipulating his leg in different ways, but she prescribed him Rimadyl (an anti-inflammatory medicine) and a week or two of rest. After doing some research on the drug I became somewhat concerned about the safety of Rimadyl. Knowing that Boxers are prone to hip dysplasia and a host of other hip related ailments, I am hoping that this limp isn't a precursor of future hip problems. I also did some research on supplementing a dogs diet with vitamin C and its effects. There were ofcourse some conflicting views on the subject. Has anyone on this site tried supplementing their dogs diet with vitamin C, and if so what was the outcome? I am thinking about trying it out because there seems to be more evidence suggesting that it's beneficial rather than harmful. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

2. jazzyboxer

jazzyboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

We have recently added C to Hoss' food hoping it may help with his cropped ears standing better (suggested by the breeder).

Since it is water soluble, you really can't overdose with it; to avoid possible diarrhea, start off with a small dose like 1/8 teaspoon the first week, then work up to 1/4 tsp. the next week.

At the nutrition store, you can usually find Vitamin C Ascorbic Acid Crystals, the powder form.

3. 1FlashyFan

1FlashyFan Boxer Insane

I too supplement with Vitamin C in the powder form. Mine is from Azmira but I imagine it's similar to anything you'd find in a health food store for humans. I add the powder to a spoon of honey because it masks the acidic taste. You really can't overdo it except you need to experiment by adjusting the dosage to bowel tolerance. If you begin with too high a dosage too soon you may end up with loose stools and then you'll have to bring down the dosage until it doesn't irritate the digestive system. The best way is to begin with a low dosage and gradually build up and as soon as you see any bowel intolerance go back down to the dosage that was comfortable. Hope everything works out for Yoda :)

4. victore1123

victore1123 Boxer Pal

Thanks for the helpful replies and excellent advice about dosage. I didn't mention this earlier, but I also read that Ester-C (a buffered form of vitamin C) rather than the typical Ascorbic acid was more benneficial (more absorbable). Has anyone tried using Ester-C on their boxer?

5. Gin&Dex

Gin&Dex Super Boxer

I used to give my dogs 1000mg of VitaminC when they were younger (we started with 500mg then went up). I think I gave it to them from about 6 months of age up to 2 years of age, and had no problems with it. I can't even tell you why I stopped giving it to them, because I'm not sure why.

I can tell you, I'd do it again... I didn't notice any changes or differences in them. In fact I believe I read somewhere that the Vitamin C, helps battle/prevent the benign little bumps that come up on dogs. It simply gives their immune system a little boost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.