visited vet today

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmorales

Boxer Booster
I noticed Zoey has been scratching a lot and has lots of flakes and dry skin and I noticed everytime I played with her I would get bug bites. So off to the vet to investigate. I hadnt been happy with my first vet so I went to another that was recommended to me. The previous vet would give her vaccines.. "oh she has hookworm" dewormed her and off we went. He wouldnt really give her a physical or anything, idk if thats even required?? anyways... so i went to this new vet and he was great! I talked to him about the itching and scratching and I originally assumed it was mites.. but no.. it was a flea infestation. :o I also asked if he could check on how she was doing with the worms she had previously, because the past vet didnt bother to check her a second time to see if her hookworm had gone away, he would just give her another dewormer. So he checked and thankfully she didnt have hookworm... but she had tapeworms, most likely from the fleas! I felt so horrible that I hadnt noticed the fleas before and I should have taken her sooner. So he gave her a pill for the tapeworm and Im due back in 2-3 weeks. He gave me a special flea and tick shampoo for dry skin, he gave me pills for the itching, he also gave me a pill for the fleas, frontline to keep the fleas and ticks off and he recommended I start her on some meds to prevent heartworm (im guess because of the fleas) which I bought from there also. The vet bill didnt come out too big.. about $180, but I hope all this prevents future diseases and illnesses. I was also surprised about the fleas because I would spray her with "knockout" but he said it only worked great with ticks, and obviously it did because she didnt have ticks what so ever.. only fleas. Can you guys tell me what you use for prevention of fleas and ticks?? Obviously flea collars dont work alone... Im just trying to get this right because I am honestly a first time dog and first time boxer owner. Thanks..

SashaAngel

Boxer Booster
We give our dogs Interceptor it's pretty much the same as Heartguard. For the fleas and ticks we use Frontline. Never had any problems.
To rid fleas the natural way, without all the unnecessary chemicals, especially on a puppy, use Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Works like a charm. Just let the shampoo sit for a minute or so before rinsing. Sasha had fleas when we got her as a pup, not too bad but still fleas. Got rid of them right away using Baby Shampoo.

Slobberchops

Boxer Insane
I've only ever used a"squirt on the back"type of flea treatment twice in all the time Waldo's lived with us{5 yrs}otherwise I just use a tea tree based shampo,and regularly{weekly}wash all his bedding,inside and outside blankets,pillows,etc.
Hope this advice helps:)

JackDawg

Boxer Buddy
We use Frontline Plus for the fleas & ticks, but only from spring thru the fall. You may have to use it year round in Texas if it is warm enough for fleas. As for heart worms, we use Heartgard Plus (the chewable kind) once a month. Jack eats it like its a treat. Good luck and hope the itching goes away for the both of you...

HurricaneBox

Boxer Insane
We use Advantix for fleas, ticks, and mosquitos, and Interceptor for heartworm protection. I probably wouldn't do it year round except for the fact that we live in an apartment complex and I can't guarantee that the other pet owners in our community are as careful as we are! I have used Frontline in the past and I like both Frontline and Advantix. I just still have him on Advantix because that is what our vet gave us when we first got him... I didn't see any reason to switch. But I had a greyhound for years when I lived in San Antonio and had him on Frontline all year round and he did great, it worked wonders for us too because the neighbors on both sides of us had outdoor dogs and a BAD flea problem. As long as we had our greyhound on the Frontline we never had a flea issue. Hope this helps!

RolenKisses

Boxer Insane
We use Interceptor for heartworm protection. It's chewable and Rolen thinks it's a treat! I usually get him excited about it, make him do a trick, and then treat him with the pill! :) Works like a charm every time!
We also have used Frontline, but I don't like to give him that all too often!
There are also natural remedies as well.

boxerrussell

Boxer Booster
I use revolution on my dogs. It's a liquid application, and what I really like is that it prevents against adult fleas and flea eggs, heartworm, ear mites, sarcoptic mange mites, and some ticks. Instead of having to do both fleas/ticks and heartworm (which comes from misquitos), its just one application.

Ritzertboys

Boxer Booster
I use revolution on my dogs. It's a liquid application, and what I really like is that it prevents against adult fleas and flea eggs, heartworm, ear mites, sarcoptic mange mites, and some ticks. Instead of having to do both fleas/ticks and heartworm (which comes from misquitos), its just one application.

Do you use this all 12 months, or take the winter months off? I use it on my dogs too

boxerrussell

Boxer Booster
Do you use this all 12 months, or take the winter months off? I use it on my dogs too

They're on it all year round. One, because it clears my concience about having that stray misquito. And two, because it also kills ear mites and sarcoptic mange mites, which they can get during the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.