1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Victory!

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by HurricaneBox, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HurricaneBox

HurricaneBox Boxer Insane

I posted a while back about Hurricane "guarding" our apartment. He will bark and growl and basically sound like a vicious dog whenever he hears or sees something outside, whether it is actually threatening or not. We have been working very hard to teach him that alerting us is fine but once we acknowledge his alert he should let it be and leave the responsibility in our hands to "protect" the home. I despaired he would ever get it! :) But just this morning, someone knocked on our neighbor's door (apartment complex, their door is right next to ours because our aparments are mirror images of each others) and he did his usual routine of barking and growling, but today when I walked to the window, looked out, then told him "ok, thank you, that's enough" he looked at me, gave me one more little huff as if to say "well ok fine" and then walked away and laid back down in the living room where we had been sitting! I am soooo proud, it has been MONTHS of working on this and I think he finally got it! appicon Before he would continue to bark and growl no matter what distraction I offered, and the only way he would stop is if the noise stopped or he lost sight of the person/animal he was upset with, or if we physically removed him from the area he was guarding. Needless to say, lots of praise this morning when he did it on his own! :) Sorry to rant, I am just really happy!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  2. dbetz

dbetz Completely Boxer Crazy

Congratulations! This is something we really need to work on as well - I am so glad to hear of success.

3. superruben

superruben Super Boxer

Congrats!! Finally all that hard work paid off!

4. Samsonian

Samsonian Boxer Buddy

Yay, Hurricane and, especially yay you!! I'm glad to hear this is possible as we have been working on it too for a month or so after reading a post (by Jan I think) on this.

5. Amee

Amee Boxer Booster

Congratulations!! It must feel so nice to know your hard work paid off.

6. HurricaneBox

HurricaneBox Boxer Insane

It was probably Jan's response to my original post asking about this you read! ;) At first I didn't really think anything of it but she opened my eyes to the danger of NOT controlling the behavior, which is why we have been working so hard to correct it. Like I said, I didn't think he would ever get it, but I am so glad he finally did. :)

Thanks all, for the well wishes. I just had to brag, its nice to know we can come here for small triumphs like this and know that otheres here actually understand why I am happy about it :LOL:

7. MyMike

MyMike Boxer Pal

Congrats hurricane!!!!!

Mike pretty much does the growling and barking .. but when the visitor comes in, he jumps and plays with them :)) LOL

8. MyBoyChamp

MyBoyChamp Boxer Booster

Congratulations!!! That is a huge accomplishment for both of you!

Patty

9. mlvaughn

mlvaughn Boxer Pal

COngrats Pesistance does pay off.

10. K8IE

K8IE Boxer Insane

Good boy Hurricane! We are all proud of you!!
    Cooper is doing better with this as well... They sound so much alike, wish you all were closer, I bet they would be great buddies. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.