1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vetalog question

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by TossBranAbi, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TossBranAbi

TossBranAbi Boxer Insane

We saw the vet today, there has been no change in the original bump and she aspirated the new one. Didn't see any mast cells in it but she said if they aren't granulated, they wouldn't show up. She is concerned that there are now 2 bumps on one leg and how a new one popped up so fast so she suggested they be removed. She thinks/hoping that they are just hystiocytomas but would rather be safe than sorry.

I asked her about doing the punch biopsy and she said she felt the new spot was too big to be able to get it with punching it but we decided she is just going to do a local and excise the spots. She said no huge incisions to get clean margins, and if she doesn't get clean margins we will do the Vetalog if needed. So basically she is doing the punch biopsies without punching them but by cutting them out. Just local anesthesia.

Surgery is Monday, going to be a rough day as I have to work but we will make it.

Please send some vibes for my Little Man.

2. TossBranAbi

TossBranAbi Boxer Insane

Brady had his bumps removed on Monday. He came home jumping around and being a nut, never missed a beat. He did not have any anesthesia just a local so he acted completely normal afterward.

He was sent home with cephalexin and deramaxx. He has not acted like he was in pain once so I haven't given him any deramaxx.

We wait 7-10 days to get the path reports back, holding my breath until then.

3. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

So sorry I missed your additional posts! I was down with the flu between Christmas and New Years.
    Happy to hear that he did well after having the lumps removed. Waiting on pathology seems like it takes forever!
    Sending good thoughts your way that they are nothing to be concerned about.

4. TossBranAbi

TossBranAbi Boxer Insane

Thanks Susi. Glad you are feeling better but I am sure that gorgeous Raine helped mommy to feel better.

I will update the thread when I get results.

5. TossBranAbi

TossBranAbi Boxer Insane

Vet just called, both lumps were BENIGN!! She gave me the names of both of them, one was a hystiocytoma and I don't remember the other. I am going to call back and have them fax me the path reports.

I am so freaking excited I am shaking!

6. Mama's Boys

Mama's Boys Super Boxer

Woohooo!!!!!! What wonderful news....congrats!! Love to hear good news!

7. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

I have a HUGE grin on my face! This is wonderful news. I know you are extremely happy!

8. darwinsmom

darwinsmom Super Boxer

Great news! Been there, done that with both low-grade MCTs and assorted benign tumors. Unfortunately, in most cases, we can't know for sure what it is until a pathologist looks at it. It is amazing the variety of skin tumors dogs (and boxers in particular) seem to develop. Added to that, with the short coat, we are more likely to detect these small growths. Sometimes I feel badly that I have put Darwin through the surgeries (although they have all been under local anesthetic only) for what turn out to be benign growths but he doesn't seem to hold it against me.

9. johann

johann Boxer Insane

Awesome news!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

10. TossBranAbi

TossBranAbi Boxer Insane

Thank you everyone! It means a lot.

Brady came back from the vet as happy as he was when he left. His lumps were taken off using local anesthetic as well so he never missed a beat. Local is the way to go. He is healing fine and never acted like he was in any pain, sitting on the side where his incisions were and everything. I will take the stitches out on Tuesday myself and hopefully we have no more adventures like this anytime soon, or ever!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.