Vet in Pittsburgh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfunk

Boxer Pal
I live in Pittsburgh, Pa and I want to talk to a reputable vet about getting my puppy's ears cropped. Please don't let this get into an argument about the idea of it, Iwould just like to talk to a vet and see some of their work before I decide. Many vets don't do it because they were never trained to do it or prefer not to. I found a few places but this was out of the phone book and I would like to have good results. My puppy is 7 weeks old so I would like to get started on this soon. I know he needs to be 8 weeks though. Can I trust a groomer to do this? I would think that would be a bad idea but I see groomers that do it. What was the name of that anesthetic abain that I should advoid? Ace?

Thanks - please help me and not lecture me. :)

Robyn

Completely Boxer Crazy
I agree with boxernutt, please do not let a groomer do this. First of all, ear cropping is a SURGERY where some of the ear is cut off. Of course this would require an anesthetic, which groomers are not educated or licensed to use. In fact, I just read an article in "Boxers", if an ear cropping is done with out an anesthetic(ie: by a groomer or breeder)they can be arrested and charged with cruelty to animals. I would be VERY cautious of a groomer or breeder who would be willing to crop with out an anesthetic, a Veterinarian is the only way to go. Get references from the vet about cropping and ask for pictures. You probably will want to have pre-op blood work and tests done before the surgery also. This is a very SENSITIVE subject (sounds like you are aware of that)thank you for doing your research.

------------------
Robyn
Cooper, 5-11-99
Red fawn, neutered male, floppy and docked,rescue
http://www.boxerrescue.com/spotlight.htm
Mugzy, fawn, neutered male, cropped and docked rainbow bridge Sept. 98

Status
Not open for further replies.