1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very Large Boxer

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by Justalyke, Oct 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Dewclaws aren't used like human thumbs; they're too far away from the toes and not opposable. :) Some dogs use them when turning - generally the herding or coursing breeds - but at less than full-gallop gaits, the dewclaws don't even touch the ground. Dewclaws do need regular attention, as they tend to grow more quickly than toenails (since they don't get as much regular wear) and quite often grow right into the leg; they also can easily catch on things and tear (and bleed like mad!), and are extremely difficult to heal. They are generally removed for the show ring, so most Boxers from responsible breeders will not have dewclaws.

112 lbs. is enormous for a Boxer! :eek: Quite often such extremely oversized dogs are prone to hip dysplasia or other joint-related disorders, so three cheers for him making it to 10 without any problems! :)

2. RonaldMM

RonaldMM Boxer Pal

10 months not 10 years!

I meant the huge boxer was 10 months old!:)

3. BXR RYD

BXR RYD Boxer Booster

My Cooper is 7 yrs old and he weighs 109 lbs and has for a very long time he also stands at 27 inches and a lot of people ask me if he is a Mastiff because they have never seen such a big boxer. My Arley who is 3 yrs old weighs in at 98 lbs. I also never expected to have such big boxers but I love them no matter what their size....just makes it harder to fight for bed space is all.

4. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

At 112 lbs. at 10 months, I would be very hard-pressed to believe that this is a purebred Boxer. Sorry, but he is nearly double the correct *adult* Boxer weight - it is extremely unlikely a purebred puppy would have reached this weight already.

It is very scary, really, these huge dogs being passed off as Boxers. The Boxer is a medium-sized breed, but the typical American "bigger is better" mentality seems to be insinuating its way into purebred dogs, as well, in the not-concerned-with-the-breed-standard population of breeders. (I do know a 28" Boxer male, for example, a well-bred Champion from successful lines; at his heaviest, he was 84 lbs.)

5. RonaldMM

RonaldMM Boxer Pal

I agree

I couldn't take my eyes off of him. Infact I took a picture and still can't believe it. I guess I could post it in my gallery, but, I don't want to waste my gallery space on him. :(

6. Atticus

Atticus Boxer Pal

My boy,Atticus,is 10 months old and weighs 84 pounds and 26 inches at his shoulders...he is a horse...he even sounds like one when he has a toy in his mouth and he is showing it off......but yeah....he's not fat he is just thick and built.

7. jksjkc

jksjkc Super Boxer

The OP dog is 10 years old.

8. harley03

harley03 Completely Boxer Crazy

Harley is almost 3 yrs old, is about 27'' and is about 70 lbs or so. I can't imagine him being 100 +, I can barely keep him up to 70!!!

9. Rocky's Ma

Rocky's Ma Completely Boxer Crazy

Wow, I cannot believe the size of some of the dogs in this thread! Rocky is finally starting to fill out at 1 year of age and is only 55lbs right now (he's pretty tall though). The breed standard for males is 55-70lbs right? I am just baffled at the huge sizes I'm seeing! I don't see Rocky going over 70, he'll probably be lucky to reach 65! He's very lean compared to a lot of other Boxers I've seen.

*ETA* I am tired of people saying that my dog is "small" for a Boxer. He is the "normal" size. :) He is filling out lately though, finally. He looked thin because he grew tall so quickly.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  10. Jags_Mommy

Jags_Mommy Boxer Booster

Our Big Boy

Our Jag will be 2 years old in May and he weighs in at 105 lbs.

He never had the lanky look even as a small pup he always looked filled in. He is not fat, just very muscular like his father. He gets plenty of exercise and eats a monitored daily recommended amount of food.

We had his thyroid tested because he was so big compared to other boxers but no problem there.

He is just a very big healthy boy. Not what we expected, size wise but he's a keeper!! -;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.