Very frustrated Boxer Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHowell

Boxer Pal
Just a followup to my class of last night with Skeeter, my 51/2 month pup and the positive training instructor.

The trainer taught me how to adjust the gentle leader and how to put it on and check to make sure it was fitting correctly. Skeeter hated it......she kept scratching at her muzzle with both front feet and rubbing her head on the ground and anything else she could find. We began trying to get her attention on walking with commands and treats. She soon began to settle. We worked with her paying attention to me with the other people walking by and a couple of other dogs.......some distance away, however. She wanted to run to them, but the gentle leader made her realize there was a correction for lunging away. I let her wear it to get accustomed to it while at home while playing with her toys, but she would intermittently rub on the furniture, floor and her bed.......I removed it about an hour before she was to go to bed. This a.m., both of her lower eyelids were puffy and the insides were red. They must have really been bothering her as she stood still for me to gently rub them. I was concerned and called the vet......still awaiting a call back and the trainer. The trainer assured me it was on correctly, but she could have irritated her eyes with all the scratching and rubbing.

I wanted to know if others had experience this with the gentle leader and what to do about it. I was supposed to use it each day for 2 weeks with her walking and attention training......

Any advice?

RentsOSketch

Boxer Booster
gentle leader

when we were having trouble with sketch pulling so much. he pulled so much that his eyes would turn red and we were scared he was hurting himself. our trainer at Petsmart told us about the gentle leader. at first sketch also kept trying to scratch the leader off his nose. to get him use to the leader all i did was everytime i went to check the mail i would put the leader on him and walk him to the mailbox and back. take it off after we got back in the house. it took him i think 2 or 3 days of that and he stopped trying to get it off his face. he switched to a poor me phase where everytime we put the leader on him he would hang his head and look all sad and give the puppy dog eyes almost worked on the DH cause he always kept saying "should we take it off" *giggles* but after i think another 2 or 3 days he stopped the poor me phase and just accepted it. right now he still pulls quite alot without the leader but we are trying to work on it. if i am taking sketch on a walk i have to have the leader on or i feel like he is gonna pull my arm off. another tip for getting them use to the leader that my trainer told us about was while you are walkin him treat him occasionally so he knows its a good thing to have the leader on him. sorry this was so long just thought my experience might help you out a little bit

RentsOSketch

RentsOSketch

Boxer Booster
gentle leader

when we were having trouble with sketch pulling so much. he pulled so much that his eyes would turn red and we were scared he was hurting himself. our trainer at Petsmart told us about the gentle leader. at first sketch also kept trying to scratch the leader off his nose. to get him use to the leader all i did was everytime i went to check the mail i would put the leader on him and walk him to the mailbox and back. take it off after we got back in the house. it took him i think 2 or 3 days of that and he stopped trying to get it off his face. he switched to a poor me phase where everytime we put the leader on him he would hang his head and look all sad and give the puppy dog eyes almost worked on the DH cause he always kept saying "should we take it off" *giggles* but after i think another 2 or 3 days he stopped the poor me phase and just accepted it. right now he still pulls quite alot without the leader but we are trying to work on it. if i am taking sketch on a walk i have to have the leader on or i feel like he is gonna pull my arm off. another tip for getting them use to the leader that my trainer told us about was while you are walkin him treat him occasionally so he knows its a good thing to have the leader on him. sorry this was so long just thought my experience might help you out a little bit

RentsOSketch

Krikkit

Boxer Insane
SHowell said:
To Kirkkit,
If you don't approve of Barbara Woodhouse training, which method do you prefer? Just curious.
I clicker train my dogs :)

Sorry about your pups eyes, have never seen that reaction due to a GL. Hope she is back to normal soon.

Another option may be a no pull harness, have you considered one of these?

Sharon

VTbxrFan

Boxer Insane
You could also consider a Halti - it's very similar concept to the Gentle Leader, but it's a different brand and slighty different style. Some people seem to have better luck getting a good fit with the Halti and some have better luck with the Gentle Leader. A bit of trial and error to find the best one for your dog, I guess.

BeckyNC

Boxer Insane
SHowell--where do you live in NC? I have a medium sized sensation harness that's collecting dust! Tae could not tolerate it and the behaviorist I worked with on some issues said it might just not be the right thing for her. I think it was just too thick for her little nose!

I have recently, after much silly delay, ordered a SENSE-ation harness for Tae. They are supposed to be great. The behaviorist recommended one. Only one company seems to make them. Here's the website: http://www.softouchconcepts.com/ They have recently improved their order response time from 6 weeks to 4 weeks. I can't wait to receive mine and am very hopeful. Tae is similar to your doggie in that she takes off after anything that moves....cars, leaves, wrappers, etc.

I should add that the technique Dan mentioned did help somewhat with Tae. I do have her do a sit-stay when a person or dog approaches and she caught on quite well after 2 weeks.

SHowell

Boxer Pal
Follow-up....Vet recommened a salve for Skeeter's eyes.....so I have been putting that in and around her eyes. Last night I worked her in the house without the leader............using treats with the Let's Go command and sit and down. She does it all great away from distractions............she loves hotdogs too. I am going to continue this work this week with the reg. leash and collar and see how it goes. Then do the same thing with my other dog on a leash near her. She is going to have to learn not to pull, but I think I really screwed up by putting her in the group class........too many people and dogs all at once.....I just am trying to get her to learn what she is supposed to do before she becomes and adult dog with learned bad habits and more strength than me................

Her eyes are looking much better this a.m. She was her usual happy love me self this a.m. By my side as usual where I want her to be.........and harassing the cat again.......

Thank you all for all your support and help......................Oh, and Skeeter loves our big 15 lb. yellow tabby cat, Chance.............since she is growing up around the cat and the cat is big enough to box her ears when she gets too rough, Skeeter thinks the cat is her buddy.........sometimes Skeeter will rub her head across the cat's back showing affection.........other times they will box each other...............but she is her usuall rambuntious self this a.m. so I think she is feeling better............

Thank you again...............

nybustermom

Boxer Pal
There have been a lot of replies on this thread about the gentle leader/halti. Although I have tried it at the recommendation of my obedience trainer, it is not a good choice for us! I found it to be a little cruel, although I do agree that if it works for you and your dogs, so be it. Dogs are NOT horses, especially boxers, with their short muzzles, and to expect training methods that are humane for a horse to work on our Boxers is not logical. Check the website, flyingdogpress.com/headhalters.html for some opposing viewpoints on the GL.

Status
Not open for further replies.