Venting..scarey walk with our babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

LillyBear

Boxer Booster
O.K. It's been crazy busy around here and had not had time to post this till today but last week, on one of our walks with Luke and Lilly we had a dog attack ours. This crazy dog had apprently gotten out of his backyard and was wearing a collar but no leash of course. This is a route I normally walk by myself with Lilly and was oh so glad my husband was with us this day. As we're walking, I see this short stocky dog with clipped ears running toward us and my heart just freaked because I thought it was a pit bull. My husband took both leashes and this dog charged ours growling and barking. Luke who is a big boy at aboud 70 pounds, but is only 10 months old was very afraid and was trying to pull away. Luke never barked or growled. Somehow, Lilly's collar (a martingale) was slipping over her head and I was afraid she was going to get lose and that dog get ahold of her. It was a mess. I managed to get Lilly's collar secure but my husband was trying to kick the other dog off ours, we're both yelling and the other dog's owner was trying to get his dog.

And the next thing you know Luke's leash slipped out of my husband's hand and he took of running down the street scared out of his mind with this mad dog running after him. I thought we'd never see him again. My husband and the crazy dog owner gave chase and ended up two blocks away, where they found Luke and crazy dog in someone's front yard, exhausted.

I guess the other dog wasn't trying to fight or hurt them, but play, only he didn't know how to play. Not sure. Because I think he had ample opportunity to hurt Luke when the chase ended.

It was the scariest thing ever. I thought for sure that dog would hurt one of our babies or they'd get lost trying to run from it. After the guy apologized profusely. Luke ended up with a small cut on one of his hind legs and was filthy dirty. We got them back home and took Luke straight to the bath. It was sweet to see Lilly follow us in the bathroom where she licked and inspected Luke to make sure he was o.k. She stayed close to him the rest of the evening.

moburda

Boxer Booster
My goodness! That certainly was scarey. I would have freaked out! I'm glad to hear that everyone was OK in the end.

srennie

Super Boxer
UHG! I hate when things like that happen. If I walk wihtout my dh I take a large stick with me and my cell phone. I had to call my dh one evening I was walking both dogs by myself and a I see a pack of 3 stray dogs running down the street in our direction. I was on a street that is very long and I was in between side streets and knew there was no way we'd out run them...plus I didn't want to run which would make them want to chase us so I just stopped and backed us up against a wall, behind a tree and hoped they didn't see us. My dh hurried to us and arrived just after the strays cut up a side street because a car came and blocked their path.

The scariest(and weirdest) one was when I was out with the dogs and had 4 kids with me on their bikes, I was on my roller blades. As we went up the street we were passed on the other side of the street by a couple and their husky. The husky was VERY intrested in my dogs and kept turning around to look at them...we just kept going in the opposite direction. Well after a few minutes one of the kids said, "Here comes that dog!". I look back and sure enough, here is the husky, running full speed down the street toward us. I contemplated whether I'd have enough time to get my skates off and knew I wouldn't so I just put my dogs in a 'sit' and braced myself. When the dog got within 5 or 6 feet I put my hand up and said, "STOP" and crazy thing...it stopped...for a minute and then it jumped around me, making our boxer jump, I was tangled in leashes and ended up falling down with a bloody elbow. Just then a man drove up and asked what was going on. I told him the dog belonged to the couple who were leisurely walking toward us but were still a good 1/4-1/8 mile away. I was doing what I could to keep distance between the dogs and this man took the husky by the collar and put him in his car. I assumed he was going to drive the dog down to the people but he continued on in the opposite direction. The couple then picked up their pace and rushed to us and asked what was going on. I told them I didn't know...that I thought he was going to bring the dog to them but that I had to get home and clean up my bloody elbow...they didn't even apologize for their dog being loose (which they must have let it off leash because it didn't have a leash on). As I turned up our street a different man in a truck pulls up along side me and says his parents just called and said I got their dog stolen. I GOT THEIR DOG STOLEN??? I again explained that I had no idea who the man was or where he went with the dog that he just stopped to help me. Still no apology. Thankfully my dogs were fine...the kids were all fine and a few days later I saw the same couple with their husky so I'm assuming the man took him to the shelter or police station and reported what happened. I still see them from time to time and the dog is always securely on leash.

alyssakitz

Super Boxer
Oh that is scary! I hate being approached by other dogs who are not leashed as I feel so helpless and out of control. Glad it had a happy ending though!

Status
Not open for further replies.