1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using dremel tool on nails

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Tango's Mama, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tango's Mama

Tango's Mama Super Boxer

I was wondering about them. I wanted to get one and I know they make ones espicially for pets, But DH has been needing one for some small detail work on a hobby he does. I have read up as best as i can on various sites about the different ones and I wondered if anyone here uses one and if so what is the speed setting that is safest. They all seem to vary a little and I certainly dont want to use the lowest setting and it still be too much. I found one thats 6500 and the pet one is 6000. Too much of a difference speedwise?? If i get the pet one its got a battery but the 6500 one has a charger(which will work better for DH). Any ideas or suggestions? I dont want to possibly hurt Tango and if i need to buy 2 of the things i can :p

*edit* i may have posted this on the wrong forum by accident :( sorry bout that!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  2. Sabrina

Sabrina Boxer Booster

I have a pet one that I got on Amazon for $25 (I think). I love it - it makes doing his nails so easy. It has a low and high speed - I think the high speed does a much better job, I've chipped several nails while using the low speed. I would think the 6500 one would be ok - although be cautious and get him used to it before trying to do his nails. there's a couple of good threads on here about getting the dog used to it. I would think you would also want to get a fairly fine grit sanding band for his nails and make sure its only used for his nails.

3. Tango's Mama

Tango's Mama Super Boxer

Excellent! Thanks for the answer. I did a search but i didnt find alot of info about the settings course i may not have used the right words in the search.
    Tango is a good boy about anything Ive asked him to do or be done to him. I will gradually get him used to it tho. Im certain the noise will make him leary at first but i beleive he will do fine. Again thanks for the advice!!

4. abbey_eisma

abbey_eisma Boxer Buddy

I have one that I bought for my nails which works awesome...but I tried it out on my little girl and she was scared of it at first but now she knows what it is used for...she doesnt mind it too much anymore. It works pretty good and its not as big of a shock as a nail clipper.

5. Super Boo

Super Boo Completely Boxer Crazy

If you do a search on using the Dremel there is a link to a great website that gives step by step directions. Be careful if you use the higher speeds (anything over level 2) because it can heat up quick!! Nothing is worse that a Dremel burn. I know this because I used to have acrylic nails--I can sympathize.

6. Tango's Mama

Tango's Mama Super Boxer

I found the right words to use to do a search on here and came up with a wealth of info! I did find a site that gave step by step instructions. I will be very careful and I do know how hot one can get from having my nails done myself! I sure dont want to burn his lil feet. Thanks for the info!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.