1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using California Natural Lamb & Rice. Does she need a fiber supplement?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by bethlyn, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bethlyn

bethlyn Boxer Pal

Karlee is a 6 yr old whom we adopted early in March. ( 4 weeks tomorrow! :D) The shelter fed her Science Diet, which she apparently didn't like. ( She lost 10 lbs while at the shelter, but being nervous and mourning her former family no doubt played a part in the weight loss.) We bought her Eukanuba Boxer Formula initially, but having since been reeducated, we have gone about switching her to California Natural Lamb Meal & Rice (just started this last Friday). In searching the forums, it seems that CN Lamb & Rice is a good food if it is working for her, but many comments have indicated that it is low in fiber. It really seems to soon to tell if her BM's have changed in frequency, although consistency seems OK, last I noted. (She's kind of a private dog, as she prefers to "do her business" in the woods, out of view. {We kind of like this about her, it never ends up in the yard! LOL} So we don't always make note its shape, color, or if she actually got around to "doing her business", or was to distracted with sniffing deer, bunny, possum tracks to "take care of business".)

We also want to switch her to healthier treats, which from what I have read, seems to be ones we would make for her at home. With that being the case, should I make some that are higher in fiber? Which ingredients should I look for in recipes for treats? (That way I can search the recipes forum by specific ingredients.)

A couple more questions. Are the pig ears an acceptable treat? What about rawhide bones?

2. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

No pig ears and no rawhides. They're dangerous in they are undigestable and can get stuck in the intestine and require surgery to remove.

Raw meaty bones are okay, bully sticks are okay, tracheas are okay, but that's about it for natural products.

On feeding there's no reason to add fiber to the California Natural unless your dog is having stool problems due to the low fiber content. As long as she isn't constipated or having diarrhea there's no need. My dog personally cannot handle the low fiber content and ends up well one gets constipated the other gets diarrhea, but some do just fine it just depends on the dog. As long as yours does fine you're good to go!

Treat recipes, just look for natural ingredients. If you can stay away from wheat flour it may benefit her. You can do simple things like chicken jerky and beef jerky. YOu can get a dehydrator for relatively cheap and just put strips of plain chicken or beef on it and there ya go. Boiled chicken works well too. If you want to do "biscuits" then again natural ingredients would be the goal.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.