Urinary Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cayenne's Mom

Boxer Insane
Cayenne has a urinary infection. I have her on an antibotic, Clavamox, for a week now. What is concerning to me is that I just heard from the breeder and evidently one of the other females is having urinary infections too. Cayenne urine had a real strong odor. At first I thought it might be from her puppy shots and the medications from having her ears done. When I took her to the Vet to have her ears wrapped he said he was concerned and put her on antibotics. The other pup has been on two rounds of antibotics and they are finding blood in her stool. Poor baby. Cayenne seems to be reacting well to the antibotics and the odor is gone and her housebreaking is back on track. Are urinary infections something I need to be concerned about her intire life? Also is anyone aware of anything I should ask the Vet to test for? Like I said she seems to be thriving and gained 3lbs in a week last week. I just do not want her to continue to have problems if I can provent it. Any suggestions?

mrsdp2

Boxer Buddy
Actually the other pup is my Angel and she has been on 3 different antibotics Amoxicillon,Clavamox, and Penicillin shots. Nothing seem to be helping. She has blood in her urine not her stool. But it started out just smelling bad then got better and as soon as she was off her antibotics she got worse. I have switched vets because I didn't think that the vet we had her at was helping her at all. We are now waiting until all the antibotics are out of her system so that we can do a urine culture.

Mandy

Cayenne's Mom

Boxer Insane
Well, Cayenne was an angel at the vet today. The Vet says that she is doing well. So far the odor is gone and she is pretty much going outside to the bathroom. Does anyone know of any warning signs that the infection could be coming back?

Brindee's Mom

Boxer Pal
Hello,
My boxer pup Brindee (10 wks old), is having a yellow discharge and she has an odd smell. When I asked the vet she said it was an infection.She was put on Tribrissen 120Mg. It didn't help because it's back even worse than before. Do you have any of the same symptoms?

buddy'smom

Boxer Pal
Just an idea.....

A friend of ours had a female who had reoccuring UTI and the vet also had them add cranberry juice to her drinking water. I am not sure how much or for how long, but if you are interested I could find out about it from her. As well, it may be something you could discuss with your vets.

Jean

Mandy1155

Super Boxer
Clarice had a UTI. Her symptoms were urinating a lot more than normal and it seemed to catch her off guard. She is house trained and I had just taken her out and she went again on the carpet which is not like her. She also urinated in her sleep, so we put her on antibiotics for 2 weeks.

I don't think once they get them they will come back frequently if you cure the problem. They can get them from holding it too long sometimes.

One of her boxer friends named Grace had one also and was put on antibiotics, so they seem pretty common.

Cayenne's Mom

Boxer Insane
Just to update everyone! Cayenne is still doing fine. My Vet still wants to do a urine culture in order to rule out any genetic links. My vet mentioned to me that UI's are common in female dogs and sometimes it can be attributed to hormone development. She said that more research has been done into research regarding not spaying female puppies until they have gone into heat at least one on time. Especially if there is a history of urinary infections. From what I gathered she said that this will allow the female hormones to fully develop and once the dog is spayed the UI's should either go away or decrease. Has anyone read anything about this or know of where I can do more research? Thanks!

nanabear

Banned
Originally posted by Cayenne's Mom
My vet mentioned to me that UI's are common in female dogs and sometimes it can be attributed to hormone development. She said that more research has been done into research regarding not spaying female puppies until they have gone into heat at least one on time. Especially if there is a history of urinary infections. From what I gathered she said that this will allow the female hormones to fully develop and once the dog is spayed the UI's should either go away or decrease.
I find this sooo interesting. Having had two females in a row with spay incontinence and the Boxer having several UTI's.....I just wonder about the early spaying we are all encouraged to do.

There is *NO ONE* that finds unplanned litters more unforgivable than I - all my pets have always been neutered and I harp on everyone else to do the same. But when you have lived with an incontinent female for 6 years in the first instance and 7 years for the next girl...you might be willing to do what's necessary to let the dog mature longer, have one heat and then do the spay.

I completely understand that vets see the nightmare of unplanned litters that end up being euthanised or abused as *FAR* more abhorrent than some leaking of urine. But it just makes me wonder.....

You might want to try offering your girl some cranberry juice, capsules or dried cranberries (Craisans) every day as a preventative. I give the dried variety to my male every day in a meal or as a treat - he loves them.

Cayenne's Mom

Boxer Insane
I am in total agreement with you about not wanting an unplanned litter. Especially for a girl so young and not having all the proper health testing. I am not a breeder and I do not want to be one. I do plan to have Cayenne spayed. In my discussion with my Vet she said that a lot of people would be mortified with the idea of letting a dog go into heat this way. At the moment Cayenne is doing just fine but I would like to know all the facts in case she has problems in the future and we have more serious decsions to make down the road.

nanabear

Banned
Originally posted by Cayenne's Mom
In my discussion with my Vet she said that a lot of people would be mortified with the idea of letting a dog go into heat this way.
Not sure what you mean by that? Just that most folks *do not* want to deal with a heat cycle? And so a spay is done in plenty of time to avoid that first heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.