update on deaf boxer puppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacied22

Boxer Buddy
I had written a week or two ago about getting a white deaf boxer pup. My husband and I were already taking his brother, and with much thought and deliberation we decided to take the white pup as well. We're soooo excited! Our breeder had screened people for the puppy and had no luck. They required a fenced-in yard and somone that had alot of free time at home (that's us :) ) It broke my heart when they told us that when people would call about him (apparently not paying attention to the fact that they stated he was deaf) they'd make nasty comments when they realized he was deaf. grrrrr.... >:( My husband is over there right now picking them up. THe white pup is Tank (because he's the biggest) and the mahogany/fawn's name is Diesel. Oh I'm so excited. I've been thinking and praying about this dog and when our breeder expressed to us that they'd prefer he be placed with us (that was such a compliment :) ) we knew that it was the right thing to do.

Also, anyone who has a deaf boxer, PLEASE give me as much advice as you can. I'm trying to do as much research on training and adjusting, ect. as I can. I would love as much input as you can give me.

tesster

Boxer Insane
Congratulations on your 2 new additions! I'm so glad you decided to bring Tank home as well!

There's a website www.deafdogs.org that has a lot of info on training, etc. I'm sure you'll find all you need to know here, but it seems there's a lot of info there, as well.

I, too, am faced with a similar decision. I've not yet made up my mind. I have a 1.5 yr old female and came across a 1 year old deaf male whose family abandoned him with a relative when they learned he couldn't hear. :( The relative cannot care for him and is looking for a forever home for him. I really worry about making the wrong decision for either dog.

I'm glad to hear that your confidence and happy ending! It's inspiring! :)

Best of luck and post pics of the little darlings soon!

Julie

lacied22

Boxer Buddy
we've got our 2 little guys home. Of course now that they've come home they're names have changed. LOL Husband decided that he didn't like the name Tank. We decided on Iceman for the white boy and Maverick for the other (both from Topgun). Kinda fitting since he's is military too. :) So far so good. They're just the cutest little things. Iceman follows me everywhere!

Layla's Mama

Boxer Buddy
I have a white Boxer who is also deaf her name is Layla. Also in my opinion she is very small (she is 1 1/2 years old and wiehgs 43lbs but seems to be the size of about a 7-9 month old). I did not know that layla was deaf when I got her, but I realized there was something wrong when I had her for about 1 month or so, because the vacume didn't bother her or anything. Even though she can not hear she is the most loveable puppy ever. When people pet her she gets very excited and shakes uncontrolibly, I think that this may be due to the fact that she can't hear so the only stimulation that she gets is by touch. The place I got her from offered me my money back or another puppy but then I would have had to give up Layla and who knows where she would be. Although it can be trying sometimes because of her deafness I couldn't imagine a day without her or give her up for anthing in the world.

TysonB

Boxer Buddy
thats good for all of you. great things happen to good people

iceman and maverick is funny. im a big topgun fan. although im in the airforce i still like those names

given the chance to savea pup from a shlter or worse i would def. take the dog.

good for you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.