Update on Casper's immunotherapy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lola's mum

Boxer Insane
Just thought I'd update you on Casper's immunotherapy.

I'm injecting him as per the schedule and we're onto the last vial now. Then come August he'll just be on maintenence shots once a month.

At first I did wonder if they were actually doing anything as sometimes he was still rather itchy, sometimes a day or two before they were due and sometimes right after he'd had one. He scratched his ear so much it drew blood a few weeks ago and it took ages to heal but that's ok now.
His chest is also not red and has no broken skin and *touch wood* after the last injection I gave him last week he has hardly itched at all.

He has to have two injections each time as he is allergic to so many things they split the allergens between two sets of vials. He's fine giving the first one but then because he knows what's coming he runs off and hides and gets so distressed no matter what treats I have for him. I am going to ask my vet if it matters if there's like an hours time delay between the two.

As I said above they do seem to be working, he no longer has hairless patches or any broken skin so fingers crossed I am doing the right thing for my baby.

x19er

Boxer Insane
Sounds like your on the same regime as us for Dino, although he doesn't mind getting his jabs so I don't know what to suggest to help you with that. Our vet said that if he is going through a particularly itchy phase we can bring the maintenance jabs forward as necessary which we've done a couple of times.

That's great Casper is responding so well to them appicon

caruse

Boxer Insane
So glad to hear that things seem to be turning around for Casper and that there is somewhat of an end in site!!!appicon
Barbaralovicon

Cami

Boxer Insane
You can request a smaller gauge needle. If memory serves me correctly a HIGHER number means a smaller needle. A 22 gauge would be smaller than a 20.
There are also needles that are a bit more expensive that have a special design with a much sharper point and include an angle that make insertion into the skin nearly impossible to feel.
A few years ago I had a cat that underwent allergy shots at home and switching up the needle size made a WORLD of difference for him.
Just a thought.

Lola's mum

Boxer Insane
He has the really fine needles with an angled head. The ones I was given initially were awful, they looked so thick so I use those now to draw up the liquid as the finer ones bend sometimes when pushing through the rubber on the vials.

johann

Boxer Insane
You could try having a helper give him the second shot at the same time you give the first one. That way he's only upset the one time....might make it easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.