Unsafe living conditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfhtlhii

Boxer Booster
I am not sure what to do. I went and rescued a dog yesterday. It was horrible. She was living in a handmade, barely held together, kennel in the back yard. It was split in 3 and one had a dog I couldn't see, one had her(boxer brindle female 4 yrs old), and the other had like five or so cockerspaniels left to the elements, with only a small doghouse type thing for them, she had nothing. He was using her to breed boxers and said that he had six boxers in there at one time, without any shame he said this!!! She has spent all of her life out there! Now his wife doesn't want to breed boxers but cockers instead. Is there anything I can do to stop this, would animal control do anything? It makes me so sad and mad!!:mad:
I don't want to wait to long! Any advice would be appreciated!

Connie

By the way her name is Shyla and she is making herself at home next door with my neighbors, who have been looking for a boxer to love. I will post a pic of her later!

myrocky

Boxer Insane
You could call AC and have them come take a look at the property. It sounds like a Mill to me with the amount of breeding that is done. If you do call let us know what happens.

Good for you, Connie! You did a good thing. cool2icon

Like Andie said, you never know until you try. AC in most areas will not confiscate dogs provided that they have shelter, food, and water and that they are not in any immediate danger. That said, I have had AC be very cooperative when I really didn't think that they would/could get involved. Instead of confiscation though, they may force them to comply with local ordinance and do regular, routine inspections and take the dogs if improvements to the dog's living conditions are not made. Couldn't hurt to give them a call and at least make them aware of the situation and let them inspect it.

Let us know how it comes out.

:)

Nedra's_momma

Completely Boxer Crazy
I agree, I would call animal control. I think it is safe to say that one small dog house is not adequate housing for 5 cocker spaniels.

Even though they will probably just get a warning and erect 5 more rickety houses for them, it will be better than nothing.

Thank you for rescuing poor, sweet Shyla. At least now she will have the spoiled rotten life that she deserves. Can't wait to see pictures!

Good luck

M

Ms.Kryssie

I love that name.. Shyla... that would match my skyler perfect..
You are a saint!! :) for taking her, just do what you think is right, and check your local laws call animal control or if the dogs are akc, call them also. Put your foot down... !!!!!!!smashicon

cfhtlhii

Boxer Booster
I contacted AC and they went out and agreed with me on the living conditions. They were thrown off of the property and the guy supposedly has ties to the sherriff's office so they can't get any help that way. And the laws in Ohio suck, so there is nothing that can be done! About contacting the AKC I was told they wouldn't care either cause they don't insure the animals breeding or health anyway, but I am going to call and be sure for myself. I am so angry right now!:mad:
She also suggested contacting my state legislature and trying to help get things changed. So I am going to do that too. I know I am only one person, but I am going to do all I can.

Connie

SouthernArt

Completely Boxer Crazy
Originally posted by cfhtlhii
I contacted AC and they went out and agreed with me on the living conditions. They were thrown off of the property and the guy supposedly has ties to the sherriff's office so they can't get any help that way. And the laws in Ohio suck, so there is nothing that can be done!

I don't understand!!! What's the point of even having Animal Control if they can't do anything??? This just isn't right!!! :mad:

Please keep us updated.

cfhtlhii

Boxer Booster
Southernart,

That is exactly what I asked! She said till the laws are changed there is nothing they can do. Although I was extremely confused. She said that the sherriffs dept. is the one that actually enforces things in this situation but nobody from there would get involved because of his "contacts" there! AHHHHHHHH!!!

Connie

Nedra's_momma

Completely Boxer Crazy
Originally posted by SouthernArt

I don't understand!!! What's the point of even having Animal Control if they can't do anything??? This just isn't right!!! :mad:

Please keep us updated.

Unfortunately, as I understand it, AC can only enter the property under a warrant. If the home owner has ties to the sheriff's office, there probably is little they can do to get a warrant. It stinks and isn't fair, but some people are corrupt and there is nothing you can do but find other ways to make life hard for them.

Not sure what you meant by saying that the animals and breedings aren't insured... Insurance shouldn't have anything to do with it. It is my understanding that the AKC will, however, step in if the breeding animals that they own are producing litters that are registered through the AKC. I would check there. If they are producing puppies and registering them via the AKC, the AKC CAN step in and suspend their registration on the condition that they can have regitration back if they improve the living conditions of the breeding animals and the pups. At that point in time, if they don't comply they can have their registration privalages revoked permanently. Know that even though this is something you can do to make things harder for them, they will probably turn to a less than reputable registry (and there are more than a few of them out there!) if they are suspended with the AKC.

Good luck and keep trying! You are a wonderful person for stepping in to help out these poor animals.

boxerlove

Boxer Booster
What about the press ????

Some newspapers & TV stations will send out "undercover" reporters looking for a pup, etc.

I don't care what kind of "ties" this man has, the laws are the laws. Animals have to have shelter.

If you could get the A/C officer that went out there give a statment you may could get someting done. Police departments don't like to be put on display, and Newspaper's & news stations LOVE to do it.

If you make enough noise, someone will listen.

Just a thought !

Status
Not open for further replies.