1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uncropped Ears OK?

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by Mom2tyson, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CondoPup

CondoPup Banned

Thank you, Alisha - that was really informative, I didn't realize the breed standards were controlled by the parent club of each breed but it totally makes sense. Good information!

2. Mollie_T

Mollie_T Banned

Our Maggie's tail is docked, but we left her ears natural. I think both ear types are nice, I just decided not to crop Maggie. The Taterhead comment was very cute, it sounds like a trick I would have pulled when younger =) LOL

3. Shayna's Mom

Shayna's Mom Boxer Booster

Someone had asked in this thread, I think, why docking and cropping got started in the first place.

As someone else said, I dont think anyone knows why boxers were originally cropped and docked, but as far as in the history of dogs there are reasons for the practice.

Cropping was often done so that there was less for an opponent to grab and therefore less damage done to the dog in the case of hunting or dog fighting, so this would be why some breeds were cropped, and if the breeds that were used to create the boxer were cropped then it follows that the originators of the boxer probably liked that look and therefore cropping continued into this breed.

As for docking, there was a time when there was a tax on dogs one had unless they were working dogs, and to differentiate a working dog from a non working dog, the tail was docked. This is probably where the tradition came from. It wouldnt take too many generations before people started associating a specific breed or type of dog with a docked tail.

Anyway, thats what I have read as to the origins of these proceedures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.