1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uncropped Ears OK?

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by Mom2tyson, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SOBE

SOBE Boxer Booster

the response to the message before

To the moderater who just answererd the message above...
    I received a response to a forum I responded to , not this one, about cropped ears. I received an email from someone who said it was no one's business what he did with his dog's ears, and also made comment about it was no worse than circumcising baby boys.... I went back (read) my response on that thread to make sure that what I wrote could not have been misinterpeted as offesive, and I noticed that this persons response was NOT on the thread......I am uspset that this person has access to my email address and sent to me a response that does not appear on the thread.......I think this is a serious problem and am not comfortable with this person sending me emails, especially since that person sending the message above has been "banned"? (I make an assumption that this is the same person based on letter content, maybe I am wrong.)
    Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Yes, that person was banned. But they are NOT sending you emails - or at least not unless they have your email address through the other board you posted on. And if they do, then you might like to think about who you allow to make your email address public. There is no way for members to access each other's email addresses through Boxerworld. Members profiles are private here.

What you may have got, however, is an automated email from the board with any new responses to a thread you have subscribed to - that email would contain the entire response. And if you did, then that is because that is the option you have selected (the default is no subscription and no notification - so if you want notification, you have to turn it on). If you don't want to receive email notifications of new replies, then you need to turn that option off in your user cp (either choose 'don't subscribe' or choose 'no notification' in the thread subscription options).

3. Maggie'sMom

Maggie'sMom Super Boxer

Gee, I just re-read this thread and realized my comment was a little strong by saying that I'd like to see cropped ears illegal. I am sorry if I have offended anyone. I like the look of both, but could not understand the reason for the cropping. At this point I would be happy if the natural ears were accepted by the judges. I will be showing a puppy I just bought starting this fall with natural ears. His brother will be shown with cropped. I am really excited about the new pup, and showing.
    As for the circumcision comment- that was out of line. Circumsision is done for health reasons. I am glad this person was banned.
    Sorry again.

4. SOBE

SOBE Boxer Booster

I just want to add that the thread was on this website, Boxerboard at BoxerWorld , not another board. I went back to the thread forwarded to me via automated response. I found that the response sent to me was not posted on that thread, and that is what is worrisome, as the content of the banned person in the current thread is similar in language to the one I recieved . I DO subscribe to the automated email when there is any response to threads I have contributed to, as I find it useful. I will forward the thread address along with the response I received to you. Thanks for your help... SOBE

5. Boxerworld

Boxerworld BW owner Staff Member

You got it wrong. The response was posted on this thread and got deleted in the meantime.
    How did the board work? You got an email notification when the person posted his stupid message and then he got banned and his message removed. I do not see what is "worrisome" about it.

Please do not reply to an email notification as I get the email, not the person who replied to you on the board. I replied to you about it by email.

Olly

6. SOBE

SOBE Boxer Booster

Thanks for your help. I may be confused. I read this thread, and I can see the reponse from the person who now has banned under the user name... but the response I originally got was not from the same thread, it had at least 5 pages of resonses. but that's ok, I think that the problem is fixed. I understand what you are saying about me getting responses from threads, which is how I want it. I think this is the best place to be for any dog owner!!! I really do not find it "worrisome" now. I guess I didn't understand how this worked....if someone responds to a thread before it is "banned", I might get the reply before it is stopped. That's cool. Sorry I am slow. Hair color and all.
    Thanks.

7. Sancho'sMom

Sancho'sMom Boxer Pal

hesitant to post...

After all the controversy within this thread, I'm almost hesitant to post! I've had several boxers over the years; we got our first when I was 6, and we have yet to have one with cropped ears, though all tails have been docked. Our first boxer, Spuds, we took to the vet to have his ears cropped, but apparently I cried and threw a tantrum in the clinic floor, screaming that he "wouldn't be my Taterhead anymore".

Anyway, I don't have any oppossition to cropped ears/tails, as long as it is done by a professional veterinarian in sanitary conditions. Unfortunately, I live in a very isolated rural area where more dog owners than not have been known to wrap a rubber band around the tails of their dogs (of any breed). After prolonged time without circulation, the end of the tail falls off. As I'm sure you can imagine, this is very painful for the dog, not to mention unhealthy. Anyone who owns a dog with cropped ears/tail should be required to maintain records of the procedure should it ever come into question.

8. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

Banding tails is not uncommon and from my own experience pups show no signs of pain or even discomfort. Imo, it's healthier to band 3-5 day old pups at home (if done correctly), in their whelping box than to take them out of their environment and into a vet's office for docking. Not to mention there's no blood loss and mom remains stress free. :)

9. CondoPup

CondoPup Banned

Back to the original topic of the post, I think it's great that the AKC has updated the boxer standard to allow a choice about the ear cropping.
    I thought I heard someone speculate that since California banned ear cropping, or is about to (anyone know if that's true?) the AKC updated several breed standards in order for California owners of affected breeds to continue showing without penalty for uncropped ears. BUT I question this as I only heard that through discussion, which is not any direct info. I do know from receiving the AKC newsletters that there was a proposal awhile back regarding banning cropping but I do not know if it was ever approved in California, and even if it was, whether that's behind the update to the breed standards. Maybe someone on BW knows if there's any validity to this theory?

10. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

The ACK doesn't update standards, the parent club of each breed does. The Boxer standard was changed because the ABC members voted to do so. It seemed most members who expressed their opinion on why they were in favor of adding uncropped ears to the standard was because they believe in choice, not because of possible cropping bans that may come into effect later.

No, the ear crop ban in CA didn't pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.