Ughh diarrhea again

Linda/NJ

Boxer Insane
So a little back story. Lily has had it before and never an issue. she got it bad early April, took medication, bland diet and 2 wks all good. then she had uti, more antibiotics. all good, now 5 weeks later diarrhea again. back to vet on wednesday for another thorough exam, no fever and stool sample negative. back on centrine tabs for 3 days and metronidazole for 7 days. bland diet again till normal then gradually add her food. no cause. if it persists, then ultrasound and bloodwork to check digest/pancreas. had full bloodwork done in March and good. i changed her food March 1 to Purina Pro Plan sensitive stomach (fish) I had her on blue buffalo grain free 3 yrs chicken, no issues. i switched with the concers the grain free not good, my vet agreed. she was on food a month before first episode and now been okay for 5 weeks on same food. i want to switch back or something similar but vet stessed to wait till this is all clear, maybe a few months. im really at a loss of what it could be. she had no diarrhea for2 days now its back. still have medicine to finish till June 5. im going on vacation in 18 days and hope this is gone, my pet sitter may not want her with this issue, i may have to cancel my vacation.

Linda/NJ

Boxer Insane
She had good BM yesterday fed teaspoon of her food with bland, now diarrhea returned. Food is issue, going back to BB grain free, never had an issue on it for 3 yrs. I switched because of thevwarnings of heart problems it causes. purina is not working out. im told dont change food now. what would you do? Mentally exhausted...

Cami

Boxer Insane
If healthy per vet I would look seriously at the amount you are feeding. So many times it is such a simple concept! Too much of a good thing is a bad thing (diarrhea) especially if you are changing foods and nutritional values and feeding amounts might not be the same. It is also so simple to do and might be the sneaky culprit!

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
I have heard that too much food can cause diarrhea. Try cutting the food back a bit.

Linda/NJ

Boxer Insane
so dont do three small meals of the bland? im ready to start adding her regular food in once the next bm looks good if i want to go back to old food and not new, do i mix these two together? I WILL never change food again if i knew this would happen, bug mistake.

joeys mom

Boxer Insane
have you tried fortiflora- probiotics? Chance had the THE WORST DIARRHEA EVER a few weeks ago ... like I am talking it was so bad I slept on the floor with him in case he woke up and had to go, i wanted to hear him and get him OUTSIDE ASAP ... Well a co worker gave me a packet to try. I feed to chance with a few tablespoons of sweet potato around 5:30 and by 8 pm he had firm poop!

Linda/NJ

Boxer Insane
wow no. who sells it, do you need prescription? years back, she was given something you sprinkle on food. rice never works for her. do you boil sweet potato?

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Have you tried pumpkin. A tablespoon will help firm up the stools. More is not better. It will have the opposite effect.

joeys mom

Boxer Insane
wow no. who sells it, do you need prescription? years back, she was given something you sprinkle on food. rice never works for her. do you boil sweet potato?
I got my initial packet from a friend - I think they pruchased from vet ... it is by purina .... you do not need a prescription .....because I liked it so much I wanted a box to have on hand and got from amazon cheaper ... $25 for 30 packets. and yes, you sprinkle it on their food. It kinda had a beefy flavor smell ... I cook a sweet potato in the microwave ... wrapped in saran wrap for about 10 min ( med size potato) let it cool and just gave him about 2 tbs ... he loves it! I Wish i could share the link to it with you :(