1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UGH - Backyard breeders

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by RoxiesEcho, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoxiesEcho

RoxiesEcho Boxer Insane

So we have a new sales associate at work who has 4 dogs, one of which is a chocolate lab puppy. They have found a breeder of "silver" labs in southern Ohio who is selling puppies for $1200 and now they want to buy one and start breeding, obviously for money. I've gently told her that silver isn't a recognized color for labs but of course, the breeder is advertising them as registered AKC. So rather than going off on the "what do you know about being a responsible breeder" argument, I've suggested to her that she talk to a Lab club about the silver color, see what they tell her. The pictures I've seen on-line look like labs mixed with Weimeraner. Any other suggestions I could throw out? It irks me when someone has a registered dog so they think it's ok to get into the puppy business. But at the same time, I will be working very closely with this person and don't want to alienate anyone because of their personal life.

2. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

Tough situation, but I'd speak up if the opportunity presented itself......each and every time! I do have a tendancy to shove it down people's throats, but then again, some people need it presented that way.

I think your suggestion of contacting a lab club is a brilliant idea! Let them shove it down her throat and save you the conflict.

3. RoxiesEcho

RoxiesEcho Boxer Insane

Apparently she listened to me because she contacted AKC and was told that silver is not a recognized color but is a product of a recessive gene in chocolates. Any silver labs are currently registered as diluted chocolates. Drat - I haven't completely convinced her not to get into the breeding business, but I won't give up.

Ironically enough, I just found out that an even newer associate, also in the same department, has 2 boxers and just told me that her sister has a black & white one. When I told her that was genetically impossible, she said both of the parents are black and white and registered. Told her the story of sealed brindles and that there has to be brown stripes in their somewhere but she insists they are registered black.

4. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

There's a local breeder here who is advertising "unique black boxers". Yep they are also registered. I saw one of the pups and yes, truly black, no striping whatsoever. But what I did see, was a boston on steroids! It wasn't a boxer to me. He told me the breeder is specifically breeding the reverse brindles in her litters to acheive an all black boxer. AKC registered the papers to her - I don't get it at all! I'm surprised she isn't breeding whites!

I truly believe these registeries are the reason for the overbreeding, over population of breeds, increasing poor genetics and encouraging bad breeders. If these registries would get more involved in this shelter crisis, I'm sure things were dramatically improve. We would see less diseases, less dogs in shelters and more humane care for our pets. But instead, their resolution to birthed sickly pups is to start their own pet insurance plan. Yes, they are even making money off sick, diseased dogs because of these bad breeders. So I see them totally encouraging bad breeding, not regulating like they have the absolute control to do. It's all about money. I see them with no more respect as I give bad breeders. There is no fine line that I see there. They both belong to the same group of nitwits who ignore the homeless pet population crisis.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.